Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

CAT 287B oil in exhaust manifold

EricR225 ยท 2015-12-02 12:55

Hello I have a 287B 2004 with unknown hours that runs fine but burns oil and has oil coming from manifold gaskets. The other day after starting it up on a cold day to let it warm up it smoked heavily and blew the oil fill plug out. Checked coolant for obvious potential head gasket reason found full and clean any ideas?

Replies15
  1. #1Oxbow2015-12-02 13:05

    Maybe a bad turbo, and it is leaking exhaust into the crankcase via the oil return line? Just a guess, and I am not a mechanic. Our 287C has a turbo, but I am not sure on a 287B.

  2. #2Nige2015-12-02 14:10

    Serial Number..?

  3. #3EricR2252015-12-02 14:38

    Yeah 287Bs are turbo 3044C as well i am a mechanic but a diesel truck mechanic not HD in my opinion the oil should not be visible on the manifold if the turbo is going I'm just learning now that the case breather is prone to failure/freezing and can cause this

  4. #4EricR2252015-12-02 14:48

    Nige I will get you the serial number tonight as I'm at work and the machine is at home

  5. #5Nige2015-12-02 15:12

    I think this is your crankcase breather setup, it's from a machine of S/N prefix ZSA. Item 13A is the breather, Part Number 235-4948 priced at $68 - it might pay you to replace it. Item 13B is a Valve 249-9275, check it's not stuck - replace if you have any doubts, it's only $10.

  6. #6Tags2015-12-02 18:54

    Had the same thing happen when I had my 287B. The breather was stuck and did exactly what you described, bought a new breather valve and all was good!

  7. #7EricR2252015-12-02 19:29

    Oil in the manifold to Tags?

  8. #8Steve Frazier2015-12-02 21:22

    I've got the same breather on my 248 and had it ice up and cause the same problems you've listed. I'd look there first.

  9. #9Tags2015-12-03 06:32

    Yep, was blowing oil all over the machine through the exhaust pipe. I believe If the valve doesn't work, is stuck, frozen,etc the motor creates pressure and forces the oil into the exhaust manifold because of the pressure it creates, mine also blew off the oil fill cap.

  10. #10EricR2252015-12-03 12:14

    Nige the serial number is ZSA00811 i bypassed the crank filter to test that theory and it seems to have worked however it still seems to burn a bit blue out the exhaust and run slightly rough did it potentially damage something else or mabye just burning off the residue in the muffler and manifold? Next thing to check?

  11. #11EricR2252015-12-03 12:18

    Tags thanks for the input I bypassed it and it seems to have worked still a little smoky and rough but just perhaps from residue

  12. #12Nige2015-12-03 12:47

    I'd run it hard for a day or so before hitting the panic button if the exhaust doesn't clear in that time .......

  13. #13kshansen2015-12-03 19:15

    I was thinking the same, work it like an old Detroit Diesel, get it good and hot for a few hours and it will probably dry up. Might take a bit longer depending on how much in in the manifold and muffler.

  14. #14EricR2252015-12-06 01:18

    Still burning oil and power is down a bit no knocking or other bad sounds turbo damaged from the crank case filter being plugged

  15. #15Nige2015-12-06 08:08

    Pull off the intake air line into the turbo then grab hold of the turbo compressor wheel and see if you can detect any axial or radial play in the bearings. That would be the first place to start.