I have a CAT 287C that was running perfectly until a drive motor hose blew. Machine was stopped immediately and was not moved until CAT replaced the blown hose. After that the machine will not spin or drive straight and the brakes engage randomly on either side when just crawling forward. I really cannot figure out how changing a drive motor hose would cause this issue but CAT said it was probably a bad drive motor which makes no sense.
If he had both hoses off, maybe he reversed them.
They only replaced one hose. I suppose if they had to remove the other to get it in place. I will check on that
Not sure whatr type of RH panel your machine has, but can you get into the Diagnostic Menu.? If you're not sure please post a photo of the panel in the RH upper corner of the cab.
See the attached procedure. Get into the Service Menu and post up a list of what appears in Modes 1 & 3 (Active Diagnostic Codes & Active Events respectively). Whatever is in Modes 2 & 4 can be looked at later.
Ok I will do that and post results.
Ok, so I am not sure I did the process correctly. However, on the screen there was: 01 - 96 and it continued to change numbers, 98, 100, 102, 104, 105, 107, 109, 111, 113, 114, 116, 118, 120 and 125. Was I in the right mode?
It doesn't look like it. That looks like a temperature reading (coolant or hydraulic oil) to me. Simple instructions. 1. Press and hold the two outer buttons simultaneously for 3 seconds and release. That should put you in Service Mode 1 (Active Diganostic Codes). Whatever is listed in that mode should scroll on the LCD screen. 2. Press the RH button once and release. That should take you from Mode 1 to Mode 2. 3. Repeat Step 2 for Mode 3 and Mode 4. 4. To exit Service Mode press and hold the two outside buttons for 3 seconds and release. That should put you back in Operator Mode and display the engine RPM.
Ok, I am out of town for a few days but will get back on this as soon as I am able. Thanks for the info and I will report back
Ok, I followed the instructions and nothing shows up on Service mode 1. Service Mode 2 displays: 70- 7 Service Mode 3 is blank Service Mode 4 displays E571- 2
So the fact that you have nothing in either Mode 1 or Mode 3 means that nothing is Active at the present time. I suggest that you should start the engine and repeat the above process (paying attention only to Modes 1 & 3) while it is sitting idling, just to be sure nothing pops up as the result of a running engine. If the above shows nothing then try moving the machine both FWD & REV while steering in both directions with the Diagnostic Display set to Mode 1. Then repeat the process with it set to Mode 3. Report your results please. You have a Logged (historic) Diagnostic Code for the Parking Brake switch - Not responding properly. Also a Logged E571-2 Event for "Unexpected RH Travel Motor Reverse Speed detected. This Event is related to the travel motor speed sensors, but according to the Diagnostics system it is again a historic Event. However it will be interesting to see if the status of the E571 Event changes from Mode 4 (logged) to Mode 3 (Active) when the machine is moving.
No codes are displayed in mode 1 or 3 while operating forward and reverse or turning. The machine will not turn properly and slews to the left when driving forward.
Digressing slightly from your reply above. Did you ever get to the bottom of the issue regardin whether or not the Cat tech removed both hoses to the drive motor in order to replace the failed one.? I think you need an answer to that question before moving forward. So on the basis of the diagnostics it doesn't appear that you have anything happening with motor speed sensors, etc, but the E571 Event still has me somewhat concerned. Next step I would suggest is to look for any physical evidence that something in the hydrostatic system (pump or drive motor) might be coming apart on you, or not as the case may be. This will involve replacing the hydraulic filter then cutting open the old one to look for metal particles in the pleats of the filter media. Here is a good VIDEO showing how to do it. I know it's an engine oil filter but the principle remains exactly the same for your spin-on hydraulic filter.
I don't have much to add here besides experience. There are 5 hoses going into that final, 2 big flow hoses, and three smaller hoses. If I remember right, one is brake, one is two speed and one is case drain. Usually you have to take half of those hoses off to change one. Get any of those small ones mixed up and everything gets very wacky.
Good point. IIRC two of those three small hoses are the same diameter. It would be nice to have a machine Serial Number to look up the actual hose installation setup.
You are correct on the sizing. I think it is two speed and brake that are the same size.
Hopefully Cat cleaned the new hose out before installing it. When hoses are cut they get rubber and metal debris in them. It is absolutely necessary to clean them. If not, the debris gets into the hydrostatic system.
Machine S/N: CAT0287CEMAS02002
If I had a diagram showing the routing of those motor hoses I could at least eliminate crossed lines. The weird part is this machine ran flawlessly until they replaced that hose. If they have to take hoses off they could have very well crossed one. The machine does wacky things when you are trying to steer.
This is just a parts diagram, but it may be helpful. It appears that there are only three lines going to the finals on your machine. I am not personally familiars with the -C (ASV undercarriage) models, I have had -b3 and -D models. I would pop the cab up and check the hose routing from the side that has not been worked on recently and see if things match up side to side.
I will do this and see if there is anything obvious. Thanks. If you have any clearer views that show hoses routing please send on.
Is the dealer not standing behind the repair? Why not have them come check it out since they just worked on it?
Didn't the dealer tell him he needed a drive motor?