The machine is a solid machine with alot of improvements. Very easy to service! The engine program checked and reloaded and the RPMs (full power) found to be 70 RPM low. The rear idler was replaced by CAT to insure that there would be no track problems. The ride is smooth and quiet. Track adjustment is now a breeze! The fuel burns are about the same as the 287 using standard flow. The Cab has great vis and the seal is good. (The dirt stays out!) The E/H controls I am used to and they have a bit of a lag however, no hill for a climber! This will give CAT something to work on.. Moved some big trees with the grappel bucket and it handles at bit better than the 287 with heavy loads. (Well balance) Runs high flow tools real well!
Sounds great, nice to hear a positive report. Do you have any pics of the log haul? Perhaps someday I will own one of those. I just entered the skidsteer world with the 277B.
How is you 89 holding up so far, I just pcked up a 79 today to demo, and see how much I like the undercarrige, so far so good. We are going to make our final decision on whitch machine we are goin to purchase this week. It is going to be either the t320 with roller suspension or the 289. U said u had a roller fixed what was wrong with it? Has anyone had any problems with the bobcat roller suspension?
CAT now has 3 'levels' of adjustment for the C-Series E/H controls. It can be a adjusted by you if you have the overhead AMICS console. If not, ask the dealer what level is active in your machine. If you want quicker E/H control, you want level 2 (or 3 for VERY fast response). They can flash a higher level in about 5 minutes. PDGX
nice one how close to the old H/H controls is it when flashed with level 3
I have AMICS on my machine so I can switch any time I want. But I think level 2 is real close to the older pilot controls. The delay is almost completely gone at level 2. At level 3, it is very responsive for use if you are in an open area, as it reacts immediately and is faster than the older pilot control machines. This was a huge improvement in control response. See your dealer as they can flash it on to your machine in about 5 minutes. If you don't have AMICS, you will have to chose 1, 2, or 3 as you can only have one setting w/o AMICS. I'd suggest 2. PDGX __________________ PDG Excavating ------------------------------------------- CAT 420D IT CAT D3C CAT 236 CAT 247B CAT 256C & Lotsa Tools
Doc- What kind of hi-flow attachments are you using?
Timber Ax and G2 cutter head..
279 c Track problem Hello, I'm new to this forum.... Just bought a 279 c and am using it for tree clearing. Running side by side with my 287 c....but in 40 hours I have had 4 tracks come off the 279. Cat salesman said there is a double idler wheel for the back...anyone have experience with this? Will it fix the problem? We are in pretty extreme conditions...very steep and some stumps, but no problems will keep tracks on the 7 series. Any thoughts would be of great help!! Thks
Yes sir, it will fix the problem! I fly for a major airline and am on a 4 day trip however, will be happy to talk about the fix. 281-787-8226 Tim
can u snap some pics of your new double idler on the rear. My cat salesman told me if i have this problem they can put a single idler on the front.
Thanks Tim.....Hope it fix's the track hopping problem!!!
Thks Hope that fix's the problem..... Like the machine otherwise...seems to be balanced well.
The single idler is a waste of time front or back.. Double idler on front and back is the solution. Will snap a picture soon! TW
It will still come off even with the double but its alot better than running just the single
I would post a pic but I dont have enough post on the forum yet to post pictures. :beatsme
You should be able too now. I am pretty sure it is 3 posts. I do know it is to keep the automated programs from spamming the board with drivel I would like to see the double roller, and hear more about the problem.
Here is a pic of the track when it came out of the center idler and hoped onto the inside wall of the idler. The second picture shows the location where it happend. Located behind the CAT in the second picture you can see the log I hit. It was originally closer to the water and I went over the smaller end of the log which is hard to see in this picture but its nothing to extereme or unreasonable. After the track came off I moved the log over behind the CAT in hopes that it would hold up the back so I could work on the track. I finally ended up finding the wood blocks you see in the picture to put under it. The good news is I was only down about an hour.
Nice pics. Have they solved your tracks comeing off problem yet. How is the rest of the machine doing. Our 289 should be here in two to three more weeks cant wait.
Its a great machine! No comment on the track issue right at the moment.. My side kick and I will post a detailed list of all our thoughs in the near future! I believe it is the best machine in its class, no question..
The back idler you see in the pic is the fix. It came with a single idler in the rear that made it really easy to pop off a track. Before the update during the first 40 hours the left track and right track came off. CAT was very responsive and did the retro fit to the new idler very quickly. We are lucky that we have a good service department here in Houston. I might have just had a bad moment and a random set of circumstances when the track came off this last time. If it happens again I will certainly post it here and keep you updated.
The problem is in setting the track tension, if you do it by the book you will de track it have someone use the bucket and raise the front of the machine off the ground the use the grease gun to pump the tracks I believe the first spec cat came out with was two inches from trck to bogie go one inch you should be fine, former cat shop foreman here in a cce shop.
I try and keep them at 3/4 of an inch. When it came off this last time I am not certain what the tension was on the track that came off since it was checked by the CAT mechanics the previous days. The track that didn’t come off was still around 3/4 of an inch. We are just shy of 150 hours now most of them mulching and it’s a great machine. I think the tracks need to be addressed but other than that cat is getting really close to having the ideal machine. Bump the ponies up to around 100 or 115 (without overheating issues) and have better QA off the assembly line and CAT will really have something. (On a side note it seems most of the manufactures have issues at some point with the quality of the assembly coming off the line. It’s a shame when a well engineered product or part fails because someone didn’t tighten a screw or bolt)