Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 289c aftermarket radio help.

zerocool302 · 2020-03-19 15:09

I have a 289c with a factory radio that’s dead. I want to put an aftermarket radio in it to replace the factory one. I have searched and I’m confused. I know you can hardwire an aftermarket head unit but is there an adapter you can use to just plug into the factory harness so you don’t have to cut and splice? Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Replies11
  1. #1Nige2020-03-19 15:27

    Not so much an adapter, but what I've seen done in the past is to remove the wires from the half of the harness connector belonging to the dead radio. This requires a special tool but it costs less than a dollar. Once you have that half connector you'll need to crimp some Deutsch pins or sockets on the pigtail wires of the new radio. Install those in the correct locations of your now-empty half connector and it's plug and play, all for possibly $10 tops. The video below is not necessarily the exact same type of connector you have on your machine, but the procedures required to remove and install wires are identical. To get the wiring details from the machine Electrical Schematic would require the machine Serial number.

  2. #2heymccall2020-03-19 16:21

    Anything in here help? HeavyEquipmentForums

  3. #3512high2020-03-19 19:39

    Good question and the answer is depending on the year, yes plug and play! I have a 2015 CAT 908M, Radio (stock) CD player stopped working, bought a Jensen HD AM/FM/CD , unplugged old one, wiring connectors form CAT, plug right in, I am almost positive they call this DIN ,a international standard for radio hook ups, etc. But the picture Nige is showing it looks similar.

  4. #4Nige2020-03-19 21:00

    Again, a S/N would get the electrical schematic. That would give the Part # of the connector on the radio side, then I could post an illustration of exactly what it looks like. The illustration below is from a typical Cat SSL schematic. The machine connector for the entertainment radio is a 1552264, an 8-pin Deutsch DT-style connector. The mating plug for that connector is a 1552265 - illustration at the bottom. Even better if it's that type, no speical tool required to R&I pins/sockets, just crimp new ones on the pigtails of the new radio.

  5. #5SchuLace2020-03-19 23:55

    I know there is a Cat adapter that will work with JVCs for sure. Not sure on others. I have tomorrow off work otherwise I would get you the part number.

  6. #6heymccall2020-03-20 00:16

    Caterpillar to ISO

  7. #7zerocool3022020-03-21 09:42

    My serial number is cat0289cvjmp02372. I looked at the electrical schematic on my service disk but it shows different colors than what wires are on my radio. Could someone help me out please?

  8. #8Mobiltech2020-03-21 10:44

    Red is keyed power, black is ground, yellow is live wire for memory and the rest should be speaker wires.

  9. #9Nige2020-03-21 11:22

    That's because you're not interpreting the schematic correctly. 1) The colours shown on various wires on the illustration are generally NOT the same colour as the insulation on the wire itself. The colour on the illustration indicates what the wire DOES. Look in Grid B-1 on Page 2 of the schematic and you will find a table listing all the various options. 2) The wire number and colour is shown in text in the schematic illustration. See the snip below which is taken from the schematic for your machine. That is the connector in the machine, not the one in the radio. So for the first wire at the top 509-C70 WH 18 Wire Number is 509 - This number will be marked on the outside of the insulation every 6" or so. It is wire #70 in Harness C (refer to table in Grid C-1 Page 2 for harness Part Numbers & function) Colour is White (WH). There is a table of 2-letter colour references in Grid A-4 of Page 2. Wire Diameter is 18 SWG. The numbers 1 to 8 right next to "CONN TO RADIO" are the pin numbers of the 8-pin connector. You will find them moulded on to the back side of the connector.

  10. #10CM19952020-03-21 11:32

    How much was that harness? My price is $35 and it's the same for a 2016 279D GTL 3516. The radio in that 279 looses power from time to time then goes back to working. Haven't had time to trace it down, fuse is fine. Wondering if it was in the connector or the radio.

  11. #11zerocool3022020-03-21 12:39

    I got it figured out, thanks for all the help!!!