Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

CAT 289C Heater Problem

ReligiouslyCAT ยท 2014-11-20 00:25

Hello Folks, On my CAT 289c, the heater doesn't seem to be working even after having the engine warm up for an hour. A/C works great, it blows nice cold air, but this heater does not seems to be working (blows outside temperature), does anyone know where to start? Cat Machine Serial Number: JMP00253 Thanks, ReligiouslyCAT

Replies4
  1. #1grandpa2014-11-20 05:43

    I'd start by looking at the temperature control knob inside the cab. These were of poor design and if the operator turned the valve to far it tends to brake off a peg inside the valve making the whole assembly worthless.

  2. #2Nige2014-11-20 06:51

    Trace the heater lines back to the engine cylinder block, upper left corner of the diagram below. There may be an isolation valve on one or both lines. Make sure any such valve is open.

  3. #3ReligiouslyCAT2014-11-20 22:39

    Alright Thanks Nige. I will look at it this weekend.. Looks like I have to pop the cab up. Thanks, ReligiouslyCAT

  4. #4Nige2014-11-21 06:17

    Normally the isolation valves on a heater circuit are at the engine end of the heater lines, often actually they are screwed direct into the engine cylinder block. I wouldn't have thought it was necessary to raise the cab to get access to that end of the hoses, although I appreciate that there isn't a tremendous amount of space in the engine bay of a skid-steer. Those valves go back to the time when heater matrix cores were nowhere near as reliable as they are today (especially on tracked equipment with all the vibration) and the heater could be isolated without putting the machine down.