Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 289c overheating

Dieselhead6.4 · 2019-02-21 17:56

I have a cat 289c serial 289ckjmp02853. A couple days ago it blew a rubber hydro line that runs from the hydro filter to the fan. Replaced line and now the water is overheating. Hydro fluid seems to be staying at the correct temp but the machine is overheating the water just running it around the shop with no attachment. I did take the magnetic coil off of the fan motor to remove the hydro lines. I checked it later and it is receiving power when started, both getting power to the plug and pulling a screwdriver to one side when I took it off the machine and tried to see if it was energizing. I have also tried removing the thermostat just in case it happened to be bad and that didn’t help. Both the lines coming from and going to the water pump are very hot. Thanks for any advice!

Replies4
  1. #1BigWrench552019-02-21 18:25

    First thing... test your thermostat in a pot of boiling water. Have the thermostat in the pot before it boils. If you see it open then it is good. Then put the thermostat back in because the coolant will not go through the radiator when it is out. This is why you are still overheating. I would then wash the cooler it may be clogged with oil and dirt when the hose blew. Check your belts and check to see if the water pump is indeed moving coolant. If you're heated is working then the water pump is working.

  2. #2Canadian_digger2019-02-21 21:08

    I second Paul with oil on the rad. Pressure was with a degreaser.

  3. #3Dieselhead6.42019-02-22 07:22

    Hey guys thanks. The oil from the hose didn’t make it to the radiator. I do have a question though. I’ve always heard that if you take the thermostat out it is the same as it opening. Why is this not the case?

  4. #4BigWrench552019-02-22 07:50

    When you first start up the engine the coolant is pumped through the engine and to the thermostat. When the thermostat is closed it is bypassed and goes back into the block so that the engine can warm up faster. When you remove the thermostat the coolant will flow to the path of least resistance. Which is to bypass the radiator and go back to the block.