Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 289D 2475-3 Right Joystick Error

Frazier995 · 2020-04-13 22:38

I have a 2013 Cat 289D Serial TAW01709. I went to use it a few weeks ago and the display screen pop up the following error message The left controller works fine the right will not function at all. If the machine is turned off and restarted it will sometimes go away. I have also noticed recently that the tilt wants to tilt down almost like there is a hydraulic leak but this goes away too and there is defiantly no leak it sounds electric. It sounds like there is an issue in the right controller but Im not sure where to start. Any ideas input would be great.

Replies6
  1. #1Nige2020-04-13 22:57

    Check your PMs. You will need a DMM that can measure duty cycle to do the troubleshooting.

  2. #2Falcon11152023-06-16 21:10

    I am having the exact same issue. Did you ever find a solution?

  3. #3Nige2023-06-16 22:14

    I’ll post a troubleshooting procedure. As posted above you will need a DMM capable of measuring duty cycle.

  4. #4Nige2023-06-16 23:37

    Here it is. If you want a complete electrical schematic then you'll have to post a machine Serial Number in order to locate the correct one.

  5. #5Falcon11152023-06-16 23:43

    Taw00986. I Appreciate the response. I have actually narrowed it down to the joystick module by simply plugging the left joystick in to the right side harness since they are the same part number. That allows the right stick functions to work utilizing the left joystick. Wiring is good going from dt connector to where it enters the part 379-1612. Unfortunately after disassembling the control group 379-1612, I have discovered the circuit boards are completely potted. Removing what i could of the potting, there is a main board and a smaller board which actually holds the sensor. Very interesting how it works, there appears to be some sort of Hall effect sensor that works off a magnet in the bottom of the actual post that you move when using the joystick. The amount of circuitry to simply tell the machine the joystick is moving left right front back is mind boggling. Wondering why the board(s) could fail being completely potted has got me wondering if it could be a simple fix. Was hoping to avoid the $550 replacement. I have found a few other posts of this issue on the web but no solutions. Afraid if I don’t figure it out, eventually the left side will follow suit and fail.

  6. #6Nige2023-06-16 23:53

    The magnets are known to fail (fall apart basically) in other similar switches. If you can get at the magnet maybe it might be repairable but the only fix for most people is a new joystick base.