Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 289D E569-2 issue

STbasco1 ยท 2025-12-31 09:05

Hello all, I'm working on my 2015 289D, sn TAW04385. I recently replaced the left drive motor and speed sensor (both aftermarket). Now the machine won't move much before throwing E569-2 and engaging the parking brake. When it does move, the left side is moving noticeably faster than the right. I swapped the sensor connections under the cab, and the left side error continues to trigger but the error changes direction. Watching the drive motor RPMs in the monitor, I noticed that the left motor is showing opposite direction and a higher RPM compared to right. Just before the error was recently triggered it showed left at -210rpm and right at 166rpm. I'm wondering if there is a calibration needed after replacing the drive motor. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Matt

Replies4
  1. #1Nige2025-12-31 11:14

    E569-2 - Unexpected Left Drive motor speed detected. If the drive motor speed sensor is aftermarket (I wouldn't have gone with that option TBH) then is there any chance that the two signal wires are somehow swapped in the connector.? The way the speed sensors work is quite simple. There are two sensors in a common body, let's call them #1 and #2. The Machine ECM detects direction of travel by noting which sensor passes the tone ring first. For example if #1 passes first followed by #2 then the machine is moving forward, if #2 passes first followed by #1 then the machine is moving in reverse. So by that logic you can see why if the signal wires are swapped the ECM would throw up an error. On the illustration below I would guarantee the wire colours on the sensor pigtail with it being aftermarket, but the wire colours/numbers on the machine side should be good.

  2. #2Nige2025-12-31 11:17

    Are you sure you got the correct drive motor.? It should be 2-speed. Is it? Ask the supplier what is the equivalent Cat Part Number for the motor they supplied. Or it could be nothing more complicated than a ***** motor speed sensor - back to my comment in the Post above regarding aftermarket sensors.

  3. #3STbasco12025-12-31 14:01

    Thanks Nige, I'm fairly confident the motor is right. I picked it up from FinalDriveMotors, matched to model and part number on the webpage. Caterpillar 289D Final Drive Motor # 442-5642. Thanks for the diagram, I'll check the sensor. Do you think the sensor could also be causing the left motor to run a little faster than the right? That didn't seem likely to me, but at this point, I'll go buy the Cat sensor if it'll solve both problems. Thanks again.

  4. #4Nige2025-12-31 14:30

    That Part Number is correct but is what you purchased definitely a 2-speed motor.? The sensor does NOT control motor speed, it only reports it. The sensor may be a problem but if as you say when the machine moves that the left side physically moves faster than the right (before the park brake applies and the E569 pops up) then my money is on the motor being wrong.