New here. I have a 2017 Cat 289d skid steer. I bought a supposed standard flow mulching head for it. Come to find out, it’s a high flow head. Now, I’m trying to figure out if my skid steer is a high flow. Serial # is 0289DKTAW06833. It has the button in the cab and it gives an icon on the screen, but locks everything down like the parking brake is on. I do not have the electrical plug on my machine for the jumper.
Then you don't have high flow capability. Either connecting the harness from a work tool to that connector, or installing a jumper connector, is what triggers the ECM to command High Flow. Also check your implement hydraulic pump. If it is a gear pump like the one circled in the illustration below then that is another confirmation that your machine does not have HF. The implement pump on an HF machine is a piston-type pump like #1 in the 2nd illustration.
Thanks for the info. I will check the pump out tomorrow. Is it possible to change the pump to a high flow? Or am I better off the sell the mulcher and get a standard flow?
You might be able to replace the high flow pump on the mulcher with a standard flow. What brand of mulcher is it?
It’s a FAE
It’s not just a case of changing the pump. There will be hydraulic piping/hoses to change plus electrical wiring for the work tool harness to install. IMHO you would be better either changing the mulcher or buy a machine already equipped with high flow.
FAE, has a standard flow model. It might be worth to see what it would cost to convert yours to include the electrical connections necessary. It might at the end of the day be cheaper to go the route Nige recommends. I don't know for certain but I doubt it would matter that the pump is high flow if your only using standard flow. It might just be the changing the electrical connections so that it would work on the 289 standard flow. Swapping machines would give you better performance with high flow and would probably be the best end result, it would just be if the money worked making that happened.
I had a quick look and all the hoses/hard lines for the pump are different part numbers between gear & piston pumps in addition to all the extra control lines for the piston pump. There will be a major cost associated with that in addition to the price of the pump. It’s not just a simple case of removing one pump and bolting the other in place.