Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 289D Wiring diagram

Acoals · 2022-02-18 15:25

Hi Everybody! I have a Cat 289D track loader, Serial 0289DVTAW01488. Does anybody have a wiring diagram by chance? I have a couple issues I need to figure out on this machine before we go back to work in the spring. The issue that I need to tackle first is the "Advanced display" in the cab is dead. It failed last summer when the unsecured battery shorted against the frame while working . . . Yes, yes, I know. I had only owned the machine a couple weeks and assumed (First mistake) that the machine had been gone through. I am told that the display probably needs to be replaced, but at like $1200 or something from Cat I want to verify that first. Thanks in advance!

Replies34
  1. #1Nige2022-02-18 16:24

    I’ll send you a copy. Keep an eye open for a PM. There is also a document for installing the Advanced Display in a machine not equipped with one. I’ll send you a copy of that as well. It might come in useful.

  2. #2Nige2022-02-20 10:56

    PM sent.

  3. #3heymccall2022-02-20 11:00

    The advanced display installation kit

  4. #4Acoals2022-02-20 15:32

    Thanks guys, I will keep you posted how it goes.

  5. #5Acoals2022-03-02 23:20

    Finally got around to working on the machine; the display has power and ground, and signal from the key when in run, so I am off to obtain a $1100 display . . .

  6. #6Cmark2022-03-02 23:29

    Have you tried resetting the display; Ignition on. Press and hold the two outermost buttons on the display for about 15 seconds. If that doesn't work, disconnect the battery for a couple of minutes then try again.

  7. #7Acoals2022-03-02 23:33

    Yes, I have. I should try it one more time, just for giggles though.

  8. #8Man with a plan2023-12-21 19:01

    I am also in search of a wiring diagram for my 2018 Cat 289. Would you also be able to send me the diagram?

  9. #9Nige2023-12-21 19:31

    Serial Number.?

  10. #10Man with a plan2023-12-21 20:42

    The serial number is CAT0289DJTAW09068.

  11. #11Nige2023-12-21 21:20

    That's actually the PIN. the S/N is the last 8 characters,TAW09068. Schematic on the way. Check your messages.

  12. #12Man with a plan2023-12-21 21:23

    Thank you very much, Sir.

  13. #13Todd 19702024-02-16 16:17

    Hey guys i need some help i have a Cat 289=D skid steer and i need to do a dpf delet on it i have purchased MOD EDIT for the 3.3l and the instructions say to go the the ecm and on side J1 find the wires marked EB37 and EB17 and connect the wires.I have looked at each wire and i cant find any that have thoses numbers .The local Cat dealer just gives me a run around. Anybody have any idea where i can look for theses two wire pins? serial # of machine is 0289detaw04929 thanks for any help. MOD EDIT - HEF does not condone nor facilitate sharing of information relating to deleting government mandated emissions equipment.

  14. #14Nige2024-02-16 16:23

    There are no wires labelled that way on any Cat schematic (289D or otherwise) that I've ever seen. Apart from that this forum is generally reluctant to provide information on anything that might be considered as assisting in defeating legally-mandated emissions devices in territories that require them.

  15. #15Mobiltech2024-02-16 16:46

    Does it possibly mean MOD EDIT

  16. #16Todd 19702024-02-16 17:53

    CAT0289DETAW04929 is the seial number

  17. #17Todd 19702024-02-16 17:55

    I have reached out to the company that sales the delet kit and they havent returned a response yet.

  18. #18Todd 19702024-02-16 17:57

    If i had a clear Diagram of the SNIP

  19. #19CM19952024-02-16 19:46

    Please refrain from sharing and asking for information on how to disable or delete government mandated emissions systems. Thanks in advance.

  20. #20ryan12392024-05-13 11:14

    I havea 2015 279d that has an advanced display issue. I do have power to the red wire on the harness going into the display. That mean the display is just bad?

  21. #21Nige2024-05-13 11:45

    IIRC there should be TWO power wires supplying the Advanced Display. One is permanent Batt+ and the other is only energized when the key is ON. Post a Serial Number, I'll have a look at the schematic.

  22. #22ryan12392024-05-13 12:27

    PGTL01741

  23. #23Nige2024-05-13 12:43

    Confirmed. You should have power measured between Pins 1 & 2 with the key off and ALSO between Pins 2 & 8 with the key ON. If you have the required power and the display still doesn't function it's more than likely toast.

  24. #24Brianc3832024-05-29 10:19

    Can I get a copy of the diagram as well please? TAW02381, 2015 289D Thank you! Brian

  25. #25Nige2024-05-29 10:23

    Certainly. Check your messages.

  26. #26Brianc3832024-05-29 10:26

    Thank you Nige. I’m trying to figure what relays are at the back of the machine. The brackets on the relays are broken off and someone has replace a wire or two back there. I think 2 of them are for the coupler up front but not sure on the other one.

  27. #27Nige2024-05-29 10:30

    Post some photos of what you have. I'm sure someone will be able to suggest something. Also you should be able to identify where a particular wire is supposed to go by colour and number.

  28. #28Brianc3832024-05-29 10:36

    I’ll post up stuff tonight when I get home.

  29. #29uglyguy2024-05-31 20:23

    My display went blank about 6 months ago. I disconnecting the battery for about 5 minutes and then reconnected. Started the machine back up and the display rebooted and has been working fine ever since.

  30. #30Nige2024-05-31 20:44

    Always worth a try. Leave it depowered overnight is even better.

  31. #31Dstebbins832025-02-22 20:01

    Interested in a diagram for mine it's having some can connection problems and isn't wanting to start to crank DPR00465

  32. #32Nige2025-02-22 20:11

    Check your message inbox. If you have a No Crank situation you really need to be accessing Events & Diagnostic Codes first. If you have that info please post it up.

  33. #33Dstebbins832025-02-22 20:18

    I will attempt to find out the information by tomorrow

  34. #34Nige2025-02-22 20:40

    With some good information it's easier to give more detailed pointers.