Hi Engine shuts down after a few minutes, will not start again until next morning. I though heat related replaced thermostat , coolant level and good flow, all fuses good, I found out engine was replaced and this is what happen after replacing engine include new injection pump and fuel shut off solonoid , oil pressure 70 psi confirm sensor is good . No codes for engine shut down, found 3 other non related, but repaired. Any suggestions ? Please Help!!
Serial number please let me get this straight. a new engine has been fitted to machine and now it only runs for a couple of minutes then stops questions 1/is it a new engine ,a reman engine or the same engine rebuilt? 2/what does the machine sound like just before it stops ? does it stop instantly, does it splutter and die ? 3/when you attempt to restart what happens? does it crank or does nothing happen? 4/have you checked obvious things like fuel supply? 5/ have any of the relays been changed? 6/ what is the history for engine swap/change etc Mark
Thanks for your reply! I will get vin# and find out more about engine history. So far I found other issues bad glow plug relay wiring, left drive motor faulty repaired both, crank sensor check wiring to ECU confirm good replace sensor, how to clear those codes with no special service tools? ( laptop) Disconnected engine temp sensor gauge spikes in cluster think good ? Engine completely stall after few minutes no sputtering it will crank but no start, I am no stranger to mechanics been doing for vary long time but this has me stumped also haven't worked on cat skid steers much Gelh and Takeuchi, Thomas.. Yes.. Thanks will get more info..
Sounds like maybe the first thing you might need is an Electrical Schematic. Would that be any help..? What led you to the conclusion that your problem might be temperature-related..? Did you shoot any temperatures on & around the engine with an infra-red heat gun..?
Yes inspected engine temp with infra-red upper and lower radiator hoses thermostat was replaced aswell not over heating , I do have access to wiring diagrams inspect inputs to ECU no problems found. I highly doubt it's the ECU.. My next question is does the ECU need to be flashed because new engine was installed?
If the replacement engine is the same configuration as the one that was removed then the ECM would not require to be re-flashed. If the replacement engine is a "will fit" then all bets are well & truly off. While you are searching for a machine Serial Number look at the engine data plate and post the Serial Number and Arrangement Number. You don't mention what if anything you have done to check the fuel system. Filters, lines & fittings, check tank for cleanliness etc, etc..? One thing that comes to mind is that these machines have an electric fuel lift pump that on early machines was prone to failure. Also because of the type of work they do it's not unusual for the fuel tank to be full of accumulated contaminants. Just a thought regarding the fuel shutoff solenoid. Without a S/N it's difficult to be sure but does it have 2 wires or 3..? Have you monitored the power supply to the solenoid from the time you first start the engine up and see what it does at the moment when the engine shuts down..?
Does it have an electric lift pump, if so is it operating, piped correctly and turning the right direction?
Thank you for your quick reply, I found the issue for engine stalling , shop that replace engine crossed the wires at injection pump 2 wire.. But now I have no loader arm controls I just started to diagnose now , I have forward and reverse. This machine had several issues repairing as I go along..
All diagnostic repaired engine running a little rough at high idle but all other major issues confirm Thank you for your support..