Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 299c issues, starts up, but pressing accelerator makes it run rough, no power

Rob Everhart · 2026-01-29 17:30

JSP01124 299c ran fine, parked it ready for a storm..got really cold starts right up, idles fine, but when I press the accelerator, or actuate the linkage at the fuel inj pump, it runs really rough, and does not rev up..it will move, and the bucket goes up and down, until I press the gas, then it won’t move runs rough, no increase in rpm no current code drained diesel, replaced with new , no joy checked air filter..fine pulled apart filter water sep pump, blew lines out..no joy pulled out accelerator pedal, unplugged sensor ..same issue but then it threw a code till I plugged it back in will a fuel injector throw a code if it’s shot ( low fuel pressure)? acts like it not getting fuel Any ideas, runs really slow with no power

Replies17
  1. #1Rob Everhart2026-01-29 18:38

    I ordered a new throttle position sensor, and new accelerator cable im 2 hrs from anywhere who could test anything, when I pulled the pedal out, it was a muddy frozen mess in that compartment..

  2. #2Nige2026-01-30 20:48

    Are you reading Codes from the RH upper panel in the cab or from a Code reader of some sort.? Have you tried putting the panel into Mode 1 (Active Diagnostic Codes) then try to increase engine RPM rand watch for anything popping up on the display.?

  3. #3Rob Everhart2026-01-30 20:53

    Yes, I’m reading the codes from the cab panel..no active codes ill try increasing the rpms, and watch the display what happens is..there is a small band when I press the pedal, where I can hear the idle up a little, then nothing…I press it, or operate the throttle at the fuel injection pump, with no change…other than after a bit it starts to sputter…when I raise the bucket, while pressing the pedal it starts to sputter, when I raise the bucket at idle it goes up and down fine…ill have to look at the rpm’s..and codes tomorrow ..the only code I got was when I unplugged the pedal sensor

  4. #4Rob Everhart2026-01-30 20:56

    If I don’t press the accelerator,pedal the machine runs forward nd back, buckets moves smooth…but slow..the moment I press the pedal it won’t move/ drive..unless I’m also moving the bucket..then it sputters..doesn’t die..but sputters then goes back to idle

  5. #5Nige2026-01-30 22:04

    That sounds like classic symptoms of fuel starvation. When you worked on the fuel/water separator did you remove all the fittings from the head and blow through them.? Did you also blow through all the ports in the head with the fittings removed.? Does your machine have the fuel transfer pump and inlne filter (marked Ref #4) just below the fuel/water sep.? If it does have you disassembled it and looked at the condition of the screen.?

  6. #6ozarkag2026-01-30 22:09

    We have been doing a number of "gelled" fuel repairs this week. The last one I did had the inlet screen at the fuel lift ticker pump waxed over with what looked like toothpaste.

  7. #7Rob Everhart2026-01-31 10:40

    Thanks for the guidance, I’ll take the pump/filter assembly apart again..I didn’t remove all the fittings, just blew air through them as well as the supply hose back into the tank ..might have to wait a day or so it’s cold again today for arkansas..in the teens ..I suspected gelled fuel, or frozen water in the fuel..so I drained the tank, and put 5 gallons of known good diesel in the tank (I ordered a new pump/filter assembly in case)

  8. #8Rob Everhart2026-01-31 10:43

    I have this fuel pump filter assembly..is there a screen in the pump..I unscrewed it and removed it from the filter head, didn’t take pump,apart..looked ok

  9. #9Rob Everhart2026-01-31 17:17

    Ok removed and cleaned the fuel pump/filter, blew out the lines with compressed air machine starts right up..idles at about 1000 n/min. (Can’t figure out how to change units to rpm) machine drives, bucket operates, step on gas and it doesn’t do anything..was looking at code screen..and no codes popped up when lifting the bucket and applying gas I can get rpm’s to go to 2000n/min when I let off the bucket controls the engine sputters, rpm’s drop to 400 runs rough then pops back to 1000 n/min smooth running just all of the sudden so I can get rpm’s to rise only when I lift the bucket, when the rpm’s are up it drives at full speed for a seconds then sputters out ..no codes

  10. #10Rob Everhart2026-02-01 17:13

    This thread sounds like my issue HeavyEquipmentForums

  11. #11Nige2026-02-01 17:39

    It is possible. Unfortunately the Part Numbers for your machine and the linked thread don't cross reference. Your machine will have a different Part Number for the pump - 258-2554 (fitted to all JSP machines with S/N up to 1663) which updates to 455-7937. There is a Reman 10R8706 available if it gets to that point. IMHO it would pay you to do all the same testing that the OP did in the linked thread to confirm that the root cause is the same before ripping the implement pump out. He did a fair amount of testing before coming to his conclusions. Good news is that it appears as though some service parts are available.

  12. #12Rob Everhart2026-02-01 19:57

    Ordered hydraulic test gauges, plan on following what he did it Does sound similar

  13. #13Rob Everhart2026-02-01 19:58

    Thank you for the part breakdown

  14. #14Rob Everhart2026-02-02 15:04

    While I’m waiting on test gauges, and a service manual.., can I remove the hydrostatic drive pump, without pulling the engine on a 299c..looks like at minimum I’ll have to pull the hydraulic tank

  15. #15Nige2026-02-02 15:08

    It really all depends on what lifting equipment you have. It can be easier to pull the engine and pumps together if you have something capable. Otherwise you do what you gotta do. The hydraulic tank is going to need draining either way.

  16. #16Rob Everhart2026-02-02 17:07

    10-4, I have a Telehandler..so now I know which way to park it in the garage..

  17. #17Nige2026-02-02 18:11

    This might be useful.