Cat 299C s/n jso00547 -- engine s/n CYM102261. Had to remove the turbo and muffler for a head gasket replacement. The turbo oil line assembly has 2 banjo bolts, one on the turbo and the other at the block. The bolts have different hole diameter sizes, one big and one smaller. It's possible that I installed the bolts in the wrong positions. Here is why I ask. After the head gasket repair and putting everything back together. Engine started up fine, no problems. Let engine idle and warm up for 10 to 15 minutes. When engine was brought up to full throttle it started to blow smoke and spit oil out of the muffler. Here are my question; would the incorrect banjo bolt orientation cause these issues? Does the banjo bolt with the larger diameter hole attach at the turbo or attach at the engine block?
I can't find any detailed information regarding the exact measurements of those two banjo bolts other than what's on the attached parts listing. Logic would dictate to me that the one with the larger hole should go in the drain side (unless there are other differences between the two) but I may be wrong. My reasoning for that is that the small hole would likely function as an orifice to limit the flow of oil into the turbo.
I wouldn't think so.
Thanks guys. I contacted Houston Cats Parts and asked if they could pull the banjo bolts and they did. It was determined that the bolt with the larger diameter hole goes on the bottom block side. Looks like I need a new turbo, Mitsubishi TD04L-10T-7
Before changing the turbine, check if everything is OK with your crankcase gas system. Are there any restrictions? Is the crankcase gas pressure exceeded?
Thanks Deimos, there was a restriction in the turbo oil drain line. Forgot to remove shop paper towel during reassembly of head gasket. Machine is back in service.
When I did something clever like that it was usually a weeks work to find it. Congratulations. Joe H
That made me chuckle. It’s usually a plastic plug..! I hope it hasn’t blown the seals on the turbo.
Nige, The seals on the turbo seam to be fine. I do have one more question; what is the normal operating temperature on the 299C? Thanks,
According to the specifications the water temperature regulator starts to open at around 180F and should be fully open by 203F.
Thanks Nige. The reason I ask is I recently replaced the head gasket and purchased/installed the temperature instrument panel that goes in the upper right corner of the cab. It's my understanding the the auditable overheat alarm will go off at 230F. So is it safe to say if the thermostat is fully open at 203F that the normal operating is around 220 degrees +/- 5 degrees?
You are correct, the audible warning goes off at 230F. I would say possibly the normal operating temperature will be slightly bit lower than 220, maybe around 210-215.
My machine is bouncing around 220F. I'll keep an eye on it, now that I can. When I first bought the machine, a man once told me, "if you don't use it, you can't break it". Thanks again!
Have you removed the complete cooling package from the machine at any point, stripped it apart and given it a thorough internal clean between the vaious modules.? Everything is sandwiched pretty tight into that pack and cleaning it from outside is of limited effectiveness so it seems.
I have not removed the radiator/hydraulic fan from the machine. The only thing I have done is I dropped the hydraulic fan and pressure washed it the best i could.
That being the case it might pay you to put that job on your to-do list. You never know.
Understood