I just had a customer call me and its Saturday . The machine serial number is GTC1960 and he sent me a pic of the monitor panel...…………. He said the engine will start, run, and the tracks drive but the hydraulics (boom and bucket) will not operate. No codes on the monitor. Can anyone identify these lights? ……...and is this a monitor that I can code into for a service mode? Any help is greatly appreciated. I wont see this machine until Monday afternoon at the earliest.
serial number?
One is a exclamation point in a square, the other is a exclamation point in a circle with a square top. Both of them indicate a problem. The biggest problem is 5245 hours on a high dollar 299. They've obviously run the snot out of the thing and its worn out. Actually the biggest problem isn't the worn out 299, its that they would call you on a saturday to bother you with it. Its probably because that's the only day they aren't running the snot out of it. Don't they know that you have fish to catch, or maybe a afternoon nap to deal with? If you aren't going to see it until Monday afternoon, why are you worried about it now? In fact, even worse, you bothered the collective minds of Heavy equipment forums on a saturday, and no one will know any useful info on it until you see it monday. Not only did you get your saturday ruined, now you ruined everyone else's weekend. I'm going back to the "I gotta know what gives" thread- at least there's some sanity there....
Top one is the Operator Alert symbol - it's kinda general. RH side is the Engine Condition Indicator. When it's yellow (like here) it's pointing at the Air Cleaner. Draw your own conclusions.
Oh man, I've been dreaming about this loader. What's wrong, what's the story, you were supposed to look at it monday? I gotta know.... You're killing me.
Yeah I bet your losing sleep over this! LOL I did look at it Monday but didn't finish it until yesterday afternoon. I noticed the machine had a fuel pump problem also while I was digging around. 1. I opened the fuse/relay panel......no covers on either. The dirt buildup was so bad that a lot of the fuses had dirt that had infiltrated them. I removed everything in both panels and blew them out with air, and then replaced all the fuses with new. This took care of the fuel pump that wasn't coming on (electric). 2. I went ahead and replaced the filter restriction sensor on the air intake hose next to the air cleaner. The issue disappeared for about 15 seconds then reappeared. I removed the sensor , then removed the fitting that it screwed to. The fitting has a super small orifice drilled in it and a brass filter inside. It didn't look dirty at all but I cleaned it with brake cleaner, blew it out, then reinstalled the fitting and the sensor. This took care of the issue. 3. There is still a flashing yellow exclamation point (the same one in the pic above) but no other indicators with it. Its evidently indicating a level 2 alert but I could find no definition for this. I called my CAT product support guy and he couldn't find it either. Nothing seems to be affected at this time. He suggested that maybe the flashing needed to be cleared by ET. They are going to run the machine today, so we'll see what happens.
* Please let us know what they find or the cause, good luck!
That brass filter is common in all types of air filter restriction indicator on Cat machines. It's designed to smooth out the "vacuum signal" to the sensor/indicator so that a snap change in vacuum in the intake doesn't cause an alarm or trip a plugged filter indicator to red. And it's usually installed on the back side of a fitting that nobody ever removes...!!
I purchased a 2012 CAT 299D XPS Two Speed, with 1900 hours. Serial No : CAT0299DTHCL00228. The engine starts and could be driven forward and reverse. Clam on the bucket would operate but the boom would not raise or lower. A mechanic using thye CAT ET found he could not calibrate the right hand Joystick. He fitted a new righthand joystick now he can't start the engine or get the left or righthand joysticks to register in the CAT ET. All new fuses etc so something has happened since he removed the righthand joystick and fitted the new one. Any help much appreciated. Thank you.
Try putting the old defective joystick back in and see what happens.?
Thank you, Nige. I am sure he tried this, but I will check when he comes back, and get the part number of the new joystick. I really appreciate your reply.
Off the top of my head I can only think of two possibilities. Either the new joystick has ***ked something up electrically on the machine, or something else totally unrelated has coincidentally happened at exactly the same time as the joystick was replaced. You have to start somewhere, and putting it back to how it was before is probably as good a place as any. Get the P/N's of both the old and the new joysticks if you can please.
The original part is : 269 0263 The new part is : 456 0166 The new part is the base with bare metal handle. he did not fit the pistol grip with the control buttons when he was trying to configure it with the CAT ET. The old joystick was still in place and the new one was in his lap. He tells me now there is no power to either joystick and the CAT ET times out when he tries to find them. Thank you.
456-0166 is an updated number for the base (P/N was formerly 269-0257). The complete unit 269-0263 updates to 460-5348. So either way the numbers check out. Would the electrical schematic be a help so he can go tracing power and look for correct connections..? Does the machine dashboard power up now, or is it dead also.?
I know as of 4 years ago CNH had not figured out this trick yet. I could time the alarm going off down to the second on a magnum after the filter got a little dirty in sporadic heavy loading. Like dragging a 1000 bushel grain cart over terraces.
Yes, dashboard lights up, under the engine temp & hydraulic temp guages when I toggle through it shows battery voltage 12.3 V. Thank you for the schematic.
A brief look at the schematic shows that the LH & RH joysticks are each supplied with power from a different fuse so if they are both dead then maybe the fuse box is the place to start looking. Begs the question what else doesn't have power either.?
Thank you, Nige. I will get an auto electrician to look at it. Everything was good, except the boom not operating. until the mechanic connected the new RH Joystick. I really appreciate your knowledge and help with all the posts you answer. I will let you know how it works out.