Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 299d2 engine Convert

AO299D · 2020-09-09 12:38

Would it work to put a machanical kabota 3.8 engine into a 299D2? would i have to use a 242d macine ecm from a machine with an engine without a ecm or can the 299d2 machine ecm be set to run the engine also?would have to line up the sensors with the right pins on machine ecm for temp, start ext. and put a throttle acuator on but how would that work for the engine speed if there would be a different size flywheel if id have to use a 242d ecm, can that be calibrated?

Replies11
  1. #1Reuben Frazier2020-09-10 17:50

    I can’t help you at all but if you have the know how to figure that out your above my pay grade lol. Please keep us informed if you figure it out.

  2. #2Makers Acres2020-09-13 15:06

    From my experience, this is going to be a hard transition. I was looking at this option for my Genie lift and swapping a Deutz engine (Similar Engine Model to the one in my Genie) and ECM. I had a good lead on a motor that was new for $6500. Fast forward a few months and found that I would be in software hell, so I ended up just putting a new Genie (Deutz) engine back in. The new motor was $11,500, but I figured the extra money was worth it to not have lifetime of problems (I can also yell at someone other then myself if it doesn't work. hehe). I was told that the ECM was programmed to work with the lift. Genie support told me that if you could talk a dealer into flashing the ECM is *MIGHT* work, but it sounded like something that would have to be done under the table and not in any official capacity. Good Luck!

  3. #3AO299D2020-11-26 08:38

    Hi I have been chugging away at this and have the teir 3 (No ECU) engine installed and temporarily running everything went pretty good the main ecm now picks up the rpm and coolant temp and so forth and to get the main emc to pick these up i changed the s/n on ecm from a dx2 machine to a9z (289D) i thought that should work good as it has the same drive motors as a 299d and the teir 3 engine but i get code E695-3 Any idea why it would do that yet?

  4. #4Nige2020-11-26 10:32

    Does this help..? E695-3 - Unexpected Motor Speed Detection Disabled This event is an active only event (will not be logged). The event designates the unexpected motor speed detection control has been disabled due to a motor speed sensor circuit fault. A motor speed sensor circuit fault includes the motor speed signals and power supply (8V Power Supply). The event will only be active when the hystat transmission lever is in forward or reverse. Reference the troubleshooting procedure for motor speed diagnostics or 8V Power Supply diagnostics, accordingly. Once the diagnostics are cleared, return the hystat transmission lever to the NEUTRAL and the event code will be cleared.

  5. #5AO299D2020-11-26 11:06

    Not really i dont think its a wire related problem if it was then there usually another code with it, there probably isn't and information available that gets pretty technical to exactly what signal the ecm is looking for for each size skidsteer?

  6. #6Nige2020-11-26 11:37

    I disagree. I think that if the Tier 3 & 4 machines have the same speed sensor Part Number and the same travel motor ditto then I’d be looking for a wiring issue or a problem with the 8v supply to the speed sensors. If I get chance I’ll check P/N’s. Do you have the electrical schematics for both the DX2 and the A9Z..?

  7. #7AO299D2020-11-27 16:46

    Not sure what was happening but while i was testing this and that i suddenly just worked...

  8. #8mitch5042020-11-27 19:33

    I absolutely HATE when that happens. If you are lucky, it was a bad connection that won't just recur.

  9. #9Welder Dave2020-11-27 23:35

    That usually happens when you take it to the dealer because it's acting up but once it's at the dealer everything is fine.

  10. #10Nige2020-11-28 09:32

    I did check P/No’s BTW and both the motor and speed sensor are the same between the two models. It was something in the wiring IMO.

  11. #11AO299D2021-01-14 17:22

    hi I have everything done now with no codes and it works fine except it don't drive as fast as it used to i did a drive calibration then it opens to pumps to 1.65 amps but when i drive its just 1.4 amp, rpms on drive motors should go about 3800 rpm and they only go 3000 rpm and the speed limit in setting is set to 100% any ideas why its working that way?