At this point, I think there is a black hole somewhere in my fuel tank. 2017 cat299d2 cab and ac, high flow 2 speed. 1450hrs Bought it from the rental store 2 weeks ago, did my first job with it, took 2 hours and the meter for the job said I used 3 gallons of fuel. No big deal, stopped at the gas station and topped it off with 14 gallons? Whatever. Maybe it was low to begin with. Go to my house, unloaded, reset meter and used it to fix some holes in my road, move some brush, nothing crazy, 2.4hrs, used 2.8 gallons. But it had 3/4 tank left of a 32 gallon tank?! Are these tier 4 engines actually that bad at fuel consumption? My old 277b with a 3044c Perkins would make a tank last 1.5 full 8 hour days of work. I'd be surprised if this one will make it 8 hours.
Haven't really tracked fuel consumption on our 279D's but if we run them hard all day long they will go through a tank of fuel. Cat designs their machines with fuel tanks large enough to handle an 8 hour shift at max production. My fuel pig - "AKA the 953C" will go through 50 gallons in an 8 hour shift running hard.
Welcome to Tier 4, burn twice as much fuel and get half as much done....thank god for emissions, I can breathe easier already.....
That’s pretty close, we can burn around 38 gallons in an 8 hour day if we’re running them fairly hard the entire time.
That is running a high flow attachment the whole time?
Yes sir but it doesn’t seem to matter a whole lot what your running, they simply use a lot of fuel.
I would be curious if the Kubota 95-2 is using that much fuel. I believe it is the same engine as the CAT 299.
I’m sure it does, the cats are turned up a little bit to 106 but I’m sure that makes very little difference. I ran one today at 3/4 throttle for 5 hours and 35 minutes and it was sucking fumes.
Update. The sending unit and both grommets in the back are pouring fuel out when going up hill lol. Had it parked on a hill, got out and noticed a fuel smell. Opened the back door and fuel was sitting in the engine bay.
Lol.. they shoulda had 2 displays.. 1 for fuel burned & 1 for fuel leaked. Lol Glad u found it..