Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 299d3, machine in limp mode, several codes. E361-3, 2204-3pre-Nox Sensor?

Mlgibson · 2024-01-02 17:57

My 299D3 just went down on me. Started with no aux hyd code 2204-3. Then CAN Data Link=Pre-NOx Sensor. Now E361-3, Gauges never showed temps were warm or hot? Where do I start, machine has 800 hrs.

Replies6
  1. #1Nige2024-01-02 18:20

    A Serial Number would be a good first step, closely followed by the exact Diagnostic Codes/Events that showed up. From your OP I assume you have the LCD Advanced Display installed which does make things somewhat easier.

  2. #2Mlgibson2024-01-03 07:31

    Yes, Serial number is DY901982. First event, lost function of aux hydraulics, begin to investigate, pulled fuses one by one, after re powering, I had noticed a yellow code popped up, 523617 ACU (CAN Data-PreNOx Sensor Data Erratic, Intermittent or incorrect) I disconnect brush cutter, started clearing small pine trees with stump bucket, Watching gauges, nothing seemed abnormal. Noticed yellow caution light coming on on display. Continued to work, machine went to limp mode and E-361-3 red code popped up, however temp gauge showed normal. So I limped back to my trailer, went thru code selection, saw where E361-1 & E361-2 had also triggered, but I hadn't seen these while running machine. Also saw the green 2204-3 (Aux Lever # 1 position sensor voltage above normal) Check air filters, they are pretty clean, machine has 800 hrs on it. Coolant overflow tank is half full, radiator looks clean. Next?

  3. #3Nige2024-01-03 08:59

    This is the first one that should concern you right now, and is the reason the machine went into limp mode. I am not sure even if after correcting the problem the machine will go out of limp mode without dealer intervention. Hopefully one of our Tier 4 experts can comment. Attached the troubleshooting procedure. You will need an electrical schematic as well. Keep an eye on your messages. Were you aware that the aftertreatment system on your machine is warrantied for 5 years from date of purchase.? You ought to be able to get this sorted by a dealer at no cost to you. It is worth contacting them and asking at least.

  4. #4Zewnten2024-01-03 20:07

    Yeah don’t bother with diagnostics if you have the warranty. Once you get the operator inducement code 3 it’s a song and dance to clear it up. Let CAT pay for it.

  5. #5BodegaErik2024-05-29 00:43

    Would this warranty only apply to the original owner?

  6. #6Nige2024-05-29 08:02

    From the information I have the emissions system warranty is not limited to the original owner and remains valid for 5 years from the original sale date of the machine.