Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

CAT 302.5 failure to prime

Jacob D Gambill ยท 2019-01-22 10:50

I just completed a full service on my 302.5. I can't get the fuel system to prime. I have tried cracking open my injectors and the air valve on the side of the filter housing. I have check and i have fuel going to and from the pump, to the filter housing and all fuel lines are clear. Is there a trick i need to know about?

Replies6
  1. #1BigWrench552019-01-22 12:13

    Try blocking off the return line while cranking. And make sure that a seal from the previous filter didn't stay on the filter base.

  2. #292U 34062019-01-22 13:09

    I'm not able to access SIS at the moment but does that excavator have an electric primer pump? If its the style of electric pump I'm thinking of they fail somewhat often and the machine will run fine up until filter change.

  3. #3Jacob D Gambill2019-01-22 13:26

    It is the manual pump

  4. #4heymccall2019-01-22 17:24

    When swapping bowls from filter to filter, did you ensure that the Oring is still there? Post #2 HeavyEquipmentForums

  5. #5Jacob D Gambill2019-01-22 17:35

    I was able to get it running and it ran for about 30 sec. With the bleeder cracked open. Then was unable to reproduce.

  6. #6Bls repair2019-01-23 16:46

    Sounds like it may have been running off fuel left in injector pump