Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

cat 303.5 engine, hydrolics

cheathco ยท 2015-01-29 22:19

2 part question. 1, just bought it, engine is 3 cyl perkins. It vibrates, mostly when just above idle, but powers up and seems ok. I thought maybe injector? Anyone know how to isolate the ofender if that might be it? 2; boom swing does not work in ether direction. (body swing is ok). Also, anyone know how to get into the hydraulic connector bank? I also have a 303.5c cr which has a lift up door which houses the hydr bank and tank. I am new to these machines, altho have worked on other simular equipment. Thanks for replys, Charlie

Replies7
  1. #1lantraxco2015-01-30 01:48

    In my experience three cylinder engines shake like a washing machine anyway. Might want to look around and see who has another one like it, see if what you have is normal.

  2. #2caterpillarmech2015-01-30 05:25

    You can check the low idle stop and make sure it is set properly. Yes the three cylinders do vibrate but it is minimal when set up right. Give us your serial number and we can tell you more about the controls. The valve bank is either on the right side of the machine or under your feet.

  3. #3CM19952015-01-30 06:43

    What landtraxco said. Currently have a 303.5E rented (140 hours on the clock), idles a little rough but with the engine speed up it purrs. It's just the 3 cylinder engine to a certain degree. Follow caterpillarmech's advice to check yours out.

  4. #4cheathco2015-01-30 08:39

    Ok, thanks, Its downright chilli here, soon as it warms up a bit I will go out and get serial numb and eng number.

  5. #5cheathco2015-02-03 08:09

    serial number on plate is 9TJ02722, product ID Part is DCH01108 engine is 3013

  6. #6cheathco2015-02-06 09:45

    Re boom swing, I found out that I was using peda that is for aux lines, boom swing pedal is under a steel plate, works ok. Re engine, I found out that engine mounts are worn. I am getting replacements at $68 plus tax, from cat, no aftermarket found. Any adv on how to reoplace would be preciated. Tnx, Charlie

  7. #7cat303.52015-02-06 21:52

    I found out that engine mounts are worn. I am getting replacements at $68 plus tax, from cat, no aftermarket found. Any adv on how to reoplace would be preciated. Tnx, Charlie[/QUOTE] Check your hydraulic pump mounting bolts. Had the same problem with my mounts. The pump vibrated loose and destroyed the coupling gears.