Hello, I have a 2003 Cat 303.5 excavator with a Perkins engine. S/n of the machine is DCH01069. I was working this winter and 10-15 minutes into warm up the engine just stalled. I restarted the machine and it stalled out again. Attempted to start, and as I turn the key I heard a clunk as the starter engaged. I called CAT and they said to pull the glow plugs and try to turn the crankshaft by hand. It was all I could do to get the crank to move. Yes it was dead of winter, very cold, but this thing has run no problems up to this point. Yes, it has engine oil, hydraulic oil, and coolant. I let it sit until this spring, just incase something was frozen, however I have the same results. I think there could be two problems, 1) the engine, or 2) the hydraulic pump. Before I go tearing into one or the other, has anyone have suggestions to further diagnose this machine?
Put a fresh battery or batteries in it. Inspect cables while doing so and give it a rip. If it still clunks, or won’t turn over, report back.
Tried a fresh battery, no joy, put a 700amp power pack on with it, got the engine to do a half a turn and then it stopped.
I think I would start by pulling engine oil filter and cut it open and check for chunks
Either hydraulic pump is seized or something in the engine failed. If the pump is reasonably easy to access I would pull it off and try cranking the engine. If no go, gotta pull the engine.
What kind of oil was in it, and how cold was it outside on the morning it happened. Been to Vermont in winter and not all oils are okay there at the wrong time of year. They blew up a couple engines at a place I contracted to. They would not listen to what the manufactures said about the cold oil limit and error on the safe side. Yours may be totally unrelated, will find out once the pump gets pulled back. Good to check out the filter as pittsburg cat man said. Would probably be best first step. Simon C