Have a cat 303 that has been hard to start lately. Glow plugs tested good. There was a broken wire that was sitting on the engine that I have re attached to where it was. But for the first start I have to use a jumper wire from the battery to the location where the wire was broken. After that it will start all day long. Any ideas?
i think that blue wire ought to be numbered 384 somewhere on the insulation. If so that is the power wire for the glow plugs that is initially powered when the key switch is moved to the ON position. If power is not arriving at the glow plugs then you have to look further back in the wiring. I'll send you a copy of the electrical schematic.
Nige, with that wire being reattached now what could be the issue? It was sitting on the engine when it was broke off. I’ve checked all the fuses under the seat. Not sure where else to check. Could it have messed up a relay? Or is there a fuse somewhere else I am missing? QUOTE="Nige, post: 1088775, member: 23972"]i think that blue wire ought to be numbered 384 somewhere on the insulation. If so that is the power wire for the glow plugs that is initially powered when the key switch is moved to the ON position. If power is not arriving at the glow plugs then you have to look further back in the wiring. I'll send you a copy of the electrical schematic. View attachment 273417 [/QUOTE]
Have you tried disconnecting the wire again to see will the engine start when it is completely cold first thing in the morning.?
Root cause - blown 60A fuse for the glow plug control. No glow plugs when the engine was stone cold, no starty.......... This is why after the first start in the morning the problem never came back until the next day at the same time.