Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 303cr injection issue

Kbob303 · 2023-06-06 21:59

Hey guys I have a cat 303cr and it is blowing black smoke whenever I idle it up and use functions. When resting at idle it doesn’t smoke. Looking for input on how to adjust injection pump. Any help is appreciated!!

Replies7
  1. #1Nige2023-06-06 22:40

    Do you have a Serial Number.? It may be a stupid question but what sort of condition are the air filter elements in.?

  2. #2Tyler d4c2023-06-06 22:45

    I've battled the same problem with mine I've adjusted the fuel rack limiting screw every witch way to Sunday and it is still smokey. It's a fresh rebuilt engine and about new or rebuilt every thing that involves fuel and air getting in to the engine. So after days of messing with it I started some research and it seems that most all the 303crs do smoke a touch. The pump guy did the injection pump and helped me though the troubles a bit perhaps he will remember some of the details with the pump.

  3. #3Nige2023-06-06 22:48

    There is also the possibility of a hydraulic system that is asking too much of the engine.?

  4. #4Tyler d4c2023-06-06 22:52

    Quite possible mine probably could use a good pressure check and adjust oppointment. I need to get a manual bought

  5. #5Kbob3032023-06-07 08:04

    Serial number on machine is xdma01123x. I just changed every possible filter and fluids with all cat products. So air filter is out of question. I just bought machine, it apparently had a rebuilt motor and from my research injection timing gets thrown off when these are rebuilt. My question I guess is how much of a pain in the a** Is it gonna be to time this correctly? New hydraulic pump as well so pressure may need to be set?? Gonna play around with it today and see what I come up with. Thanks for your quick reply’s fellas!

  6. #6Tyler d4c2023-06-07 09:01

    They are the style you set timing by the Shims under the pump if they put the same Shims in as they removed it should be ok assuming someone hasn't done something else prior

  7. #7Nige2023-06-07 10:14

    Ref #8 are the shims Tyler is referring to. I'll let others try to walk you through the pump adjustment procedure. There seems to be a lot of potential when you say "it apparently had a rebuilt motor". A lot depends on who did the rebuild and how well the did all the stuff related to the FIP.