lost an argument with a tree and shattered my back window on my 304C CR today.. finally found the part number for the window and seal in my parts book.. I'm assuming that the seal is something like two sided tape.. anybody have any tips or tricks on removing the old seal and installation of the new window.. I've removed all the old glass at this point with the exception of what is still attached to the seal..
Isn’t that rear window glued in.? This thread might give you some ideas. It covers installation of both glass and polycarbonate windows. Glue to put plastic windows back in? The big right hand cab window in the excavator has mostly come unglued. I have fixed it before with urethane sealant. I just can't get a good bond on that plastic! Not sure if those are acrylic or polycarb, but guessing polycarb as it's notorious for this. That window is very difficult to... HeavyEquipmentForums
thanks nige for the info... there's a part number 281-3654 cushion between the window and cab.. I don't see any adhesive but maybe it's a minor amount..
I imagine the rear window would be the emergency exit. So, it would be a gasket with a seal lock strip? Just watch a couple YouTube videos and you will be a pro. A good seal lock strip tool will be handy to have.
I keep one in the silverware drawer. Because you just never know,….
I may be wrong but I get the impression that the 281-3654 Cushion (see illustration) is simply a flexible membranepanel that fits between the glass and the cab in order to protect the glass from direct exposure to vibration of the structure and thus prevent it cracking. I still reckon that rear window is glued in place.
I think your right Nige… it is considered the escape hatch but there’s a funky little hammer with a sharp point on it to shatter the glass if need be that’s clipped right next to the window
Ah, the old "In case of emergency break glass" escape hatch........ In that case everything you need to install a new window is in that thread I linked earlier. Obviously you need to be working with the applicable adhesives/materials for installing a glass window rather than a polycarbonate one.
went to my local finning store this morning and looked into a new glass back window.. 650 canuck bucks... my local plastics shop will cut me a new polycarbonate one for 200 I did order a new "cushion" as I think the original is going to *** up getting the shattered glass off of it.. at least it was only 34 bucks .. still ridiculous for a strip of rubber mind you...
Just be aware that if you replace the original rear window with polycarbonate you have removed your secondary escape route form the cab - unless you find a much bigger hammer that is........
I was considering the same thing Nige.. with the high back of the seat and I have the seat all the way back when operating it would be fun to get out through the back window.. guess I’ll have to gamble that the sliders on the RH side and the door on the left (which is open when I operate) will suffice in an event.. having said that I have to take underwater egress training every three years to get out of airplanes in all manner of positions and its amazing what you can get out of when the crap hits the fan
just thought I'd finish this thread off.. the 34 dollar "cushion" from finning turned out to be a 1/4 inch wide by about 3/16 thick roll of 2 sided tape.. installed on what would be the inner lip of the seal and then pumped a tube of sika flex 295UV that's designed for polycarbonate outboard of the 2 sided tape.. I left the cover strip on the tape until the sika flex was in place.. I would have preferred replacing with glass but the price was just to stupid..