Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 3054t rotella t6

AKCAT · 2020-12-25 05:09

Has anyone used rotella t6 in a 3054t? Will this work? Thanks

Replies13
  1. #1berky2020-12-25 06:58

    I think it would be a good choice. I rate Rotella T6 as equal or better than Mobil 1.

  2. #2partsandservice2020-12-25 13:15

    IMO synthetic oil will most definitely shorten the time between crank and cam failures. No scientific method , just the engines I see come through me shop.

  3. #3AKCAT2020-12-25 18:36

    Thanks for the replies. I run t6 in my 5.9 24v and like it. I just bought a cat 416c and was seeing if I could run the same stuff. It has a synthetic blend in it right now Kendall 15w-40. Don’t know much about it and want to switch to a 5w-40 for up here in Alaska.

  4. #4skata2020-12-25 20:41

    I mainly like the t6 5w40 for its cold weather performance. Engines start easier.

  5. #5Coaldust2020-12-25 22:46

    Shell spends well over 50 million a year on marketing their Rotella line, so people buy it. I think T6 is over-priced for a group III lubricant. Much better choices available IMO. T6 does have a huge cult following, so I’ll probably hurt some feels saying this. There has been controversy with Shell’s claim that T6 is a 100% PAO. It’s not. Shell is unable to market T6 as a synthetic outside the US market, is my understanding. But, it’s a popular bulk fleet lube in some regions, no doubt. Shell T6 base stock comes from Motiva, which is owned by Saudi Aramco. I’ll stick with the domestics.

  6. #6edgephoto2020-12-26 12:27

    Most Synthetics in the US are not true synthetics. You have to pay attention.

  7. #7JL Sargent2020-12-26 15:12

    Coaldust, what would you recommend? I use this Chevron oil. Is it any better?

  8. #8Coaldust2020-12-28 00:16

    I think the Delo 400 SDE is a good product for the price point. Chevron spent a lot of time and money developing the CK-4 spec oil. I’m still skeptical about CK-4. It got forced upon us by the regulators. As of recently, you could still purchase Delo 400 LE, in bulk. But, CK-4 FA-4 is what we have to deal with now. Don’t get tricked by the marketing. Isosyn is a trade name for Isomerization of base stock. It’s not synthetic or a mixed synthetic oil. It’s a fantastic base group II+ lubricant. That opinion is based on monitoring many oil analysis reports from my small fleet and lots of customers. Disclaimer- I was employed by a large Chevron distributor. Maybe I drank the blue koolaid.

  9. #9Coaldust2020-12-28 00:26

    AK Cat, If you are looking for a full synthetic 5w-40 Ck-4 Diesel engine oil, it’s hard to beat Phillips 66® Triton ECT Diesel Engine Oil for price and availability. Especially for rigs that can’t be plugged in all the time for cold starts. I’ve been using it for about 6 years in the Anchorage area in a fleet of about 16 units. Three of those rigs were line haul trucks with pups that I could not plug in during the winter. Cat C13 and C15. Much easier cold soak starts. I don’t remember specifics, but the P66 had better specs and pricing vs the Delo full synthetic 5w-40

  10. #10AKCAT2020-12-31 01:32

    Hey thanks for all the replies. coaldust thanks for the great recommendation. I went with Caterpillar DEO 0w-40. It’s good for -40 to 104 F so I figured I didn’t have to worry about anything.I work right by Caterpillar in anchorage and figured I couldn’t go wrong with an oem oil.

  11. #11Coaldust2020-12-31 03:58

    Rebranded Mobile Delvac 1 ESP 0w-40. it’s a genuine group IV/V synthetic. Good stuff.

  12. #12Nige2021-01-01 12:52

    So Mobil is still the main producer for Cat-branded oils.? They were many years ago but I wasn't 100% sure it was still the case.

  13. #13Coaldust2021-01-01 21:43

    Yes, they still are. Just read an article in Machinery Lubrication magazine (Noria) that Caterpillar re-newed the contract with Mobile for North America. I’m not sure if that’s the case for the rest of the globe.