Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 3056e trouble code retrieval

Tony Wells · 2019-12-24 17:33

Hey guys, working on another pile. This one has some sort of hybrid crosover Cat/Perkins from what I am told. Officially on the build sheet it's a Cat 3056e equipped with an "Engine BOSSe". Typical gauges for the engine, one idiot light labeled ambiguously "alarm lamp". This is a 2006 McClosky 621TEFT screener. It had some Schenck scale equipment that is no use to me, and weathered badly, so removed. I don't think this is related, but thought I'd mention it. Lamp was on before removal anyway. Starts and runs fine, as far as I can tell, yet has a persistant "alarm lamp" on. Was told to fetch the code flashes by turning key to on, and only bumping to start (but not cranking or actually running the engine"), which would set off the self diagnosis and give me flashes to count for a code. No joy on that method after several tries, cold, warm or fully at temp. Any suggestions on how to retrieve the code flashes? Or reset to see if there are valid hard codes present? tcw

Replies5
  1. #1Nige2019-12-24 21:05

    Are you sure that the “Alarm Light” is part of the engine control system - or could it be from the equipment manufacturer.? Either way a Serial Number would be a good start.

  2. #2Tony Wells2019-12-24 23:46

    Nige, I'm going from what the dealer that sold this machine new in '06 says. Service tech consulted internally with another senior tech with extensive experience with this setup. Per their information, it is an output from the ECM. The way this machine is constructed, it is pretty well separated control-wise from the engine. Operation is mechanical or hydraulic, except as noted below. Per the BoM: Engine Model: 3056 E - 174 HP Engine SN: 35604521 Arrangement: 231-0175 Family: 6PKXL(could be "C", it's handwritten, poorly)0600(could be "U")K1 I would note, however, that there is a provision for a wireless remote, which I do not have. I cannot say what all of the functions available from the remote are. I do know that the automatic radial swing option for the output conveyor can only be used with the remote. The remote is a Grizzly TCR82/T100-R100/RTHM. I believe however, that function is separate from the ECM and provides signal to activate the swing cylinder system to oscillate the fines conveyor. By the rust and corrosion on the rams of the swing cylinders, it has not been functional in quite some time. When I spoke with the dealer, his focus was on the engine control system. From a quick search for CAT general trouble codes, none seemed to relate to overall machine operation. But I realize with software, it would be possible to integrate certain machine functions into engine performance/operation. My observation leads me to think they are two separate systems, however. Add: edit original post to correct model number of this machine. 621REGT (has tracks in addition to tri-axle, remote control only for track use)

  3. #3Tony Wells2020-01-06 20:14

    Just to let the group know, I was never successful in retrieving any codes, regardless of methods tried, as suggested. I did find out that the ECU/ECM has been replaced and flashed by a Cat service tech, so the methods suggested may not be valid. Our in-house engine guy checked it out and with the major engine functions being monitored and even after a prolonged run failing to show any obvious, major problems, the decision made was to ignore the alarm lamp. I can only hope that doesn't come back to bite us, but the machine owner is in the loop and went along with that decision. As far as the rest of the machine, everything is running well and is in preliminary trials with 1/4 x 1" screens in place. If there is anything of note that happens to the machine, and in particular the engine, I'll come back to this thread and update it. I appreciate all the assistance, and especially to Nige. tcw

  4. #4tbone14712020-01-07 07:05

    The machine computer does not tell the cat computer to do anything other than change rpm. The cat computer feeds the machine computer and tells it what it is going to do. In 06 this would be pretty basic. I would think there is a diag plug on the cat for et? Later when emissions came into play things were significantly more complex. Computers could get confused. Data still for the most part flowed 1 way. Of course a machine computer could then tell cat to turn off if a signal was misinterpreted from an emissions component. That was about the only additional machine over cat control... i have been down that road and it is not pretty.

  5. #5Tony Wells2020-01-07 10:32

    tbone, yes there is a diag connection. There has been some dissatisfaction with the local Cat service dept and hence a reluctance to involve them at this point. They have had a chance to work on this machine doing the previous ECM replacement. That may have glitched with something in the machine control, but I don't see too much interfacing other than as you mentioned, the engine speed control. That may turn out to be a mistake. I do not have access to an et. Wish I did. I'm never satisfied leaving a machine or engine with a light on. Even if I knew what it was and knew it was insignificant, I don't like the idea of training the machine operators to ignore indicator lamps. Bad idea. For all I know it's telling me there is no RF connection with a remote; because I don't have one for this machine. I have 2 other 621's but the remotes are dedicated and are not going to connect. I assume they assign a different frequency to machines when run in groups. I'm not familiar with the comm protocols in use.