Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 307 AC Gas type

Newguy 747 · 2025-07-24 13:58

Hi everyone. I finally got the compressor to engage on my 95 cat 307. Thanks for the help of you guys on this forum so thank you but now I am thinking that I want to maybe put some lubrication in the system as the compressor is making a little bit of noise. It’s a 95 and I’m sure it hasn’t been used in 20 years. My question is what kind of gas do you think it has the old gas or the new R 34A? I have the new gas with a gauge that comes on it while I’ll be doing it myself. I’m wondering the gas type in about how much I should look to put in it if I have to empty it out and start all over again Thank you

Replies4
  1. #1Nige2025-07-24 14:20

    Is there a plate with a Part Number on the AC compressor.? Regarding the refrigerant there should be a plate somewhere in the cab close to the door frame that states both the quantity and type of refrigerant to be used in the system. I suspect it will be R134a but not sure. The "World" equivalent of your grey market 9LZ-prefix machine uses 0.9kg (2.0 pounds) of R134a but I would not guarantee your machine being identical. IMHO you should really do a complete evacuation and recharge using a scale to measure the exact weight of refrigerant you put into the system.

  2. #2Newguy 7472025-07-24 22:34

    Ok I’ll check on the AC spec plates if somewhere on the machine. Thank you for the advice and information. You guys have helped me out getting things right on my machine. Very grateful for the responses!!!!

  3. #3heymccall2025-07-24 23:08

    R134a systems have quick coupling ports. R12 systems have external threaded ports.

  4. #4Newguy 7472025-07-25 03:47

    Ok Looks like it’s r134a No threads Thank you very much!!!