Hey guys I was wondering who runs a brush cutter and a mulching head on there 308. Is it worth jumping into the 309 or 310 ? The machine will also be used for retaining walls and digging of course. I’m working on getting a roadway brush cutting/ mulching contract and can get a decent deal on a 2021 308 next gen with 600hrs, but before that came up I was looking into the 309 or 310.
I have a 307.5 Cat second generation. I run a Brush Wolf HD brush cutter on it. The new Cats have a ton of settings to accommodate attachments. My machine will put up 32 gpm and My cutter will take up to 30. I set the flow to 60 percent and that allows most functions to work smoothly with the exception of tracking. If you are on any incline then you need to disengage the cutter to be able to move decent. I think the flows on a 308 are very similar to mine. If I boost the cutter up to 80 or 90 percent flow the tip speed is real fast. I have found that even at 60 if I hit a rock or concrete it does serious damage to the blades. Overall I have had cutters on 2 other machines with single pumps and this New Cat is by far superior. As you stated the 309 is designed to run axillaries but I have over 300 hours on my cutter and very pleased. I even use the cruise control to cut ditches. Good Luck