Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 308 E2 or Bobcat E85

walkie ยท 2015-07-11 10:07

I was just wondering what your guys thoughts where on this. I am looking at cat and bobcat 8 metric ton machines. I have run both and both seem good . The cat is a better machine in my opinion. I was allowing cat some extra $ because of this and a few things I liked better on the machine. I know both salesmen very good and thing both would take care of me if have any problems. Have dealt with cat for years in big equipment. Have bought d6n & 279d tcl off of him in past. But for similarly spec machine cat is $20k more. They both have come down considerably off first price don't think they have much more to give and I don't want to loose $20k just to buy a machine I like better. Let me know your thoughts. Thanks.

Replies6
  1. #1movindirt2015-07-11 13:38

    How are the dealers on service? Just out of curiosity, where in IL are you at?

  2. #2walkie2015-07-11 14:04

    The cat dealer has been excellent for service. Have not dealt with bobcat before, but the salesman only lives 5 miles from my shop. Both dealers are hr from shop. I live near Effingham, IL.

  3. #3movindirt2015-07-11 23:17

    I gotcha, I'm up by Peoria, one nice thing about Cat and Altorfer, the main parts hub is in Morton, IL; so they can get pretty much any part in on the same day if its ordered early enough.

  4. #4theironoracle2015-07-12 17:19

    Go cat. Can't imagine the bobcat dealer could or will provide the parts or service as efficiently as cat. The actual operating cost of a machine is not its purchase price as you may well know. With a quick look at Machinerytrader.com at 5 year old 8 ton Bobcats and cats all or most of the $20k is still left there in residual value! Less risk in trying to pay for the cat....imho....TIO

  5. #5Anthonycecil2015-07-12 20:54

    I`m sure every dealer is different but my experience with Bobcat has been a poor one...I actually like my Bobcat, after the different issues have been dealt with... unfortunately not by Bobcat....I really think you would be a happier person with the Caterpillar...Tony

  6. #6bindian2015-11-11 10:29

    I rented a 50 boom cherry picker last August. While picking it up I asked the salesman about his Takeuchi and Bobcat rental fleet. He said he likes the Takeuchis over Bobcat because Bobcat takes up to 3 days to get parts in and Takeuchi overnights parts in. Big difference if the machine is not making money. Also, a Bobcat dealer was just 3 miles away! hugs, Brandi