Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

cat 308 or 312

catwelder ยท 2017-03-09 17:29

alright so I'm back into buying a excavator because the need is starting to come back and I have found a low hour 308 which is 2004 and a 1997 312 both low hours 3k difference in the 312 but neither has a thumb. I plan on doing some clearing and possibly stump pulling I'm just wondering what would be the best size for this.

Replies4
  1. #1JPV2017-03-10 10:05

    Having run both the 312 would be my choice for that kind of work, how big of stumps?

  2. #2catwelder2017-03-10 12:17

    16 inch mostly some are little under some are a little bigger

  3. #3JPV2017-03-10 12:22

    The 308 would work fine then, I put a lot of hours on a 312B and really liked it. Have put maybe 50 hours on a 308 and for the most part wished I had the older 312.

  4. #4catwelder2017-03-10 23:23

    well its a late 90s model 312 and the 308 is early 2000's