Hi All We have a Cat 308c cr excavator we moved for a client but he snapped key off in ignition while unloading. He twonked about trying to hot wire it and blew the main 30amp ignition fuse. So been left to me to sort out, i got a new cat ignition , found and replace ignition fuse but he has put wires back on ignition in the wrong order, starter spins on glow plug left turn and engine starts in `on` position. Can see he has fitted the red live to assesory ignition pin so thats wrong. Does anyone have a pic or diagram for correct fitting or will it be a matter of buzzing from fuse/relay coils to find correct fitting. Any help will be great as its still on our loader. Many thanks , have veiw the forum for awhile and its a great wealth of info.
G'day Charlie, after you've finished kicking the client's arse a Serial Number for your 308C would greatly assist in locating the correct electrical schematic .......
Hi Nige Many thanks for reply, at home now so dont have the serial to hand. I think the problem is he put the 24v+ back on acc and the starter `C`must be on R1 as the motor spins on left turn of key.This is probably why it starts and runs in the on position without turning through to starter. Its about 5years old so will prob have to drag it off with a bigger machine and tackle it tuesday. I buzzed the 24v+ red wire when I replaced blown fuses so that should be on `B`. There is a thick purple that Im guessing will be to ignition, there is also a small purple, an orange,a brown. Apart from that , as you say I wil be stuck until I can get back into yard to get serial number. Appreciate the effort Nige although I have written 308c cr. KCX282-UP
And there is a reason for that....... There are 2 different schematics, and the 2nd one is for machines of Serial Number KCX282-Up...... attached below.
Hi Nige That looks like the kiddy , Have located the switch part of the schematic so will tackle that with ease. I hope nurse glady`s appreciates the great work you do as that has really helped me out, Thank You so much
You can tell the different wire sizes on the Schematic by looking right at the end of the Wire Number. An example would be something like 308-PU-16 and 308-PU-10. One wire is 16 SWG, the other is 10 SWG.
Excellent advice , thank you. That will account for the two different sized purples I spotted. Will pop down and fit the new switch in the morning. The client rushed off and left us to deal with it so got lumbered with it. Thanks again for your help.
The different size purples are in fact different wire numbers. Look on the outside of the wire for the number. It will be every 6" or so along the length of the wire.
Hi Nige, yeh spotted that , thanks again