Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 308d option valve block

Lagwagon · 2024-02-09 18:00

Looking to buy this machine but only if I can run a hyd thumb. s/n cat308dahsa01544 looks like a grey import as screen is in Japanese along with some other panel decals. It has no aux piping and no foot pedal, I’m not familiar with cat main valve blocks but I couldn’t see an option splice. Here are some pics, maybe some of you cat guys can advise if I could plum in a system without breaking the bank. cheers

Replies10
  1. #1Tyler d4c2024-02-09 18:50

    On the 307ssr the extra spool was used fir the offset boom maybe the same situation here

  2. #2Lagwagon2024-02-09 19:30

    This has a standard boom, non-pivot base.

  3. #3Tyler d4c2024-02-09 19:32

    In this photo there sure looks like nothing in the top spool.

  4. #4Nige2024-02-09 22:42

    It is a grey market 308D SR machine, and it appears as though it has one of these weird Japanese "arm crane" setups, fore which information appears to be almost impossible to come by. See this THREAD regarding a 308C SR showing how difficult it is to get information on this particular option. There are English Parts & Operation Manuals available for the machine, but the manual in respect of the crane setup only has a Japanese option.

  5. #5Lagwagon2024-02-10 11:27

    Yeah true, i should have traced those pilot lines to see where they ended up But I doubt they would have let me pull any panels off the machine as its in an auction yard. There’s 8 x valve splices so I would have thought that would leave one spare.

  6. #6Lagwagon2024-02-10 11:29

    Nige do you know if this parts manual is available for purchase? Also can the screen be changed to English? cheers

  7. #7Nige2024-02-10 11:36

    The Parts Manual yes. You can download it from Cat Pubs . Just put XEBP9525 in the box and click Search. How to change the display language I'm sorry I have no idea.

  8. #8Nige2024-02-10 11:49

    Well here's how it would be done on a monitor for an English language machine. Start from the "display Setup" menu on Page 13. Maybe knowing what keys do what could help you experiment. Alternatively there are apps around now that will translate Japanese to English from a photo.

  9. #9Lagwagon2024-02-29 05:52

    Well I bought the machine and was able to change the screen to English. Now to installing a thumb…. Im nearly certain I need to start from scratch and purchase all the electrical and hydraulic components, I’ve done this on an old 210 machine so I’m not daunted. I do have a spare valve splice to work with but I wanted to show some pics of the solenoid pilot valves on the machine. I Believe these are accounted for in other functions and I’m seeking some clarification. i have ordered a parts and w/shop manual buts it’s ex USA and will take a while. Currently the machine has standard joysticks, no toggle or push button switches other than horn and manual decel on command. It has craning valves on boom and stick. The option spice is plumbed together with one hose at spool ends. The solenoid valve under the cab is the one I’m interested in (1st pic), It has a pilot pressure line that’s plumbed to another solenoid valve near the base of the MCV (2nd pic).

  10. #10Lagwagon2024-02-29 06:01

    The 2 x pilot control lines trace to separate valve splices on the MCV. one is to the 2nd splice down with corresponding output split into multiple lines but both go to rod-end of stick cylinder, both into the craning valve. the other goes to the 4th spice down but has no corresponding output, it’s blanked off. This is confusing and the valve spice is for the boom. There’s only one hose that goes to rod-end of boom cylinder. All I can think is that the Solenoid valve under the cab is for the craning valves and the boom cylinder has a regen function. One last thing, in my screen i can see attach valves #1-4 are ‘not installed’ Any advice on my setup and where to go from here is greatly appreciate. Thanks