Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 308E blade leaks down

Hwg · 2026-03-07 16:53

Blade leaks down continuously, traveling and running the hoe. No oil leaking externally and the blade will hold the machine off the ground. Anyone got any ideas?

Replies6
  1. #1Nige2026-03-07 17:50

    I see you posted on another couple of threads about this issue. A machine Serial Number would be a good start. It makes finding info much easier. How fast does the cylinder drift down when the blade lift lever is put into the HOLD position.? The spec says that if the cylinder is fully retracted with the oil at normal operating temperature and the control set to HOLD the rod should not extend more than 5mm (about 3/16") in 3 minutes.

  2. #2Hwg2026-03-07 18:03

    GBJ prefix. I’d say it leaks down in 1-5 minutes. I’ve already got my regular cat mechanic on it. I’m just trying to speed up the diagnosis and parts changing. I see others have had the same problem but never noted the fix.

  3. #3Nige2026-03-07 18:39

    The only caveat is that what the root cause was on one machine might be different to the root cause on anothe, even on identical machine models. My thoughts would be to simply go through the system ticking off possibilities one by one until you find the cause. The most obvious starting point woul be the cylinder.

  4. #4Hwg2026-03-24 17:55
  5. #5Hwg2026-03-24 17:56

    It seems to be a known problem on 308E’s. Cat has an add on check valve to fix it.

  6. #6HeavyMetalRepair2026-03-24 19:12

    Did that fix yours or are you guys still working on it?