I have a cat 308e excavator. I replaced a hose filled it with hydrolic fluid 4 gallons. I used the machine for about 45 minutes parked and it blew the filter on the next start up. I though it may be a defective filter, but I am worried it's a high pressure problem
Did you tighten the filter to the amount specified on the filter after the o-ring makes contact. Could the hose you installed have something in it that blocks the flow causing over-pressure of filter. Did you disconnect more than 1 hose and hook up an incorrect hose to filter. Did the filter pull out of the threads or did the o-ring blow out. Was this filter changed recently, just a few questions to maybe help figure out what is going on. Post your Ser# Simon C
5I8670 is a pilot filter. Shouldn't exceed 600psi, IIRC. Any chance the filter was damaged in transit/ shipping/ storage?
Possibly. Or tightened in the first place with the wrong tool?
Out of interest what grade of hydraulic oil are you using.?
It does say made in China so I think the chances of a manufacturing flaw are greater. It sure looks like an over pressure problem though. The marks on the filter don't look like they would have caused it unless perhaps the filter was severly over tightened and the canister spun on the filter mounting head loosening the mechanical seal. Not sure if hoses could have been hooked up backwards. I had a Cat fuel filter spring a pin hole leak in the side of the canister after less than 75 hours.
Last 5I8670 I swapped, the can spun on the cast head. At the time, I thought nothing of it. Probably changed over a hundred and only an issue removing the last one.
Could definitely be a manufacturing/quality control issue. Problems like this are especially a PIA. There's oil everywhere and you have to spend a few hundred bucks just to replace the oil. Maybe filters need to come with a warranty that not only covers manufacturing defects but if it is a defect cover the loss of oil as well. You could also have some expensive repairs to the rest of the hydraulic system if you weren't in a position to catch it right away or shut the engine down instantly. First reaction isn't always to immediately shut the engine off. Usually it takes a few seconds to realize a problem and then you think maybe just a hose blew not realizing you're losing all the hyd. oil.
Come to think of it I've had that happen to me too.
I checked all the hoses and replaced the filter. Ran the machine for the day with no problems. The machine sat for a week and she blew the filter on the next start up. The filter is separating at the seam where it's press fit together. I think I am getting high pressure coming back through the line. Not sure how to go about diagnosing the problem.
And again he asks……
Have to agree with Nige about grade of oil. Have seen Cat 3306 with straight #30 oil on cold September morning swell filter on start up and started to leak as operator revved up motor before oil had thinned out some. Or maybe the filter was made faulty. Get a new filter and try again, is an easy option. Simon C
Additionally. Lubricate the seal and carefully follow the instructions marked on the filter regarding exactly how much it should be tightened after the seal contacts the head.
Lubricate? Tighten? Seriously? The die-cast threaded end of the filter has thin o-ring that's clearly not the failure point. And the die-cast threaded end clearly isn't failing. So, either the pilot pressure is way over 600psi from a pilot regulator issue, or restriction.
I was just wondering if the OP could possibly be over-tightening the filter, or even not using a correct filter wrench - as evidenced by the marks on the filter that @Chrisso pointed out above. Over-tightening could potentially stress the joint that has failed. Just MHO......
Get yourself a gauge and plug it into the port on the pilot manifold where the accumulator is located and monitor that pressure on startup. Should be no more than 625 psi. There is a bypass relief valve in the filter housing to allow for oil to bypass in the event of cold oil or a restricted filter.