Hey guys, new here and looking for some help. We have a 2015 Caterpillar 308e2 Cr and the hour meter isn’t working. I believe it’s showing 8888.8 but it definitely doesn’t have near that many hours on it. Any advice or suggestions are greatly appreciated. Product identification number: Cat0308EKFJX02832.
The kit for a new meter is Part # 366-4622. From what I can see the Part Number of the meter has changed quite a few times over the years and there are various published service articles relating to improved meter reliability. Have you checked that the meter is receiving the correct signal/voltage from the alternator when the engine is running.? The signal comes to the service meter on wire 366 Pink. You might need the electrical schematic because the supply to the meter is not direct from the alternator, it comes through a relay in the fuse box amongst others. If you want a copy just ask.
Yea give a copy please if you don’t mind. I’ll be checking the wires tomorrow afternoon and will write back then. Thanks
We think this hour meter is toast. If we replace the hour meter will it go back to 0? Is there a way to pull the hours from the machine’s computer or display? The machines hours have been showing 8888.8 since January of 2021 going by the records. We’re new to the heavy equipment world and we’re figuring it out as we go.
Never worked on one of these but what you describe on the meter I think is consistent with it getting power but no signal. I sent you the electrical schematic by PM. Note that there are 3 wires to the meter; power, ground, and signal. The signal comes from the alternator via a relay. I would check the relay and all the major harness connectors between the alternator and the service meter before condemning the meter. Dunno. I’ll have to check. Resetting the meter (if it comes down to that) may be a job only the dealer can do because it will likely need Cat ET to do the reset.
Alright I’ll do that tomorrow. What type of voltage should be coming off the signal wire?
Should be the same as battery voltage whatever that is on your machine, but only when the key is on and the engine is running. Signal voltage at the service meter should be between measured between wires 366 Pink and 200 Black. There should also be battery voltage permanently at the service meter between 105 Red & 200 Black irrespective of whether the key is on or off.
I've run across lots of Cat minis where the meters are dead or have been changed. Cat has a sticker that you write the old hour meter reading on and place it next to the new hour meter. You are supposed to add the old reading to the new meter reading for total hours. I don't remember the type of monitor display you have in that machine, but the machines with a full diagnostics do record total machine hours.