Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 309 AC Issue

rutwad ยท 2024-08-25 21:25

AC works great........ initially. But after running for a while (maybe an hour or 2) it seems to quit cooling. Still blows and it might be slightly cooler than just the fan itself, but if it is in guessing it's very slightly cooler. Not sure that it's any cooler. Didn't think to turn AC off to compare. Everything is clean. Why would it quit cooling?

Replies6
  1. #1John Shipp2024-08-26 04:53

    Thermostat not working, so freezing up solid after a while? If you run it with fan on full speed does it stay cold for longer?

  2. #2rutwad2024-08-26 06:09

    I can't say for certain but I don't think so. I was running it the other day on a lower fan speed and it seemed to cool longer, but it wasn't as hot of a day either

  3. #3reganj2024-08-26 22:00

    You state everything is clean, this means you have used some type of coil cleaner on the radiator and condensor and anything else mounted up front to cool down whatever needs to be cooled?? I am amazed the difference between using a water hose and then using a coil cleaner to boil out the remaining crap that I thought I got out using the water hose. Sounds like something may be getting heat soaked. Some one more smarter than me will get you headed in the right direction. It would be helpful to know what the A/C pressures are initially and while in operation.

  4. #4Johhnycanuck2024-08-27 20:03

    Check that your condenser fan is working. If it's failed the system will work fine until it the refrigerant pressures come up too high and trip the high pressure switch

  5. #5Johhnycanuck2024-08-27 20:19

    Of course this is assuming your machine runs a separate condenser fan motor, and condenser isn't just mounted in front of the rad.

  6. #6rutwad2024-08-27 20:25

    Well today it acted differently. It was set on 66 degrees and auto cool so that it maintains that temp itself. As it got cool in the cab I turned the temp up as much as to 75 just to see, but the fan blower stayed running on high speed. If it's like a vehicle, shouldn't the fan speed decrease once it's to set temp? Regardless, for some reason it maintained a cool cab today. We'll see what happens tomorrow.