Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 3116

Brandon_M ยท 2016-09-13 16:06

Got a topkick dump truck with 3116 kitty cat. Holds great oil pressure, runs as strong as you can expect it to. But after you run it a while, like a hour or more you can smell oil burning & smoke coming out exhaust. Could this be seals in the turbo or is it something internal in the engine. Like I said I runs great & holds really good oil pressure.

Replies18
  1. #1Dutchcat2016-09-13 16:18

    Is the smoke flicker/ pulsate? Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

  2. #2Dutchcat2016-09-13 16:20

    Sorry, DOES! Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

  3. #3Brandon_M2016-09-13 16:41

    It's like a puff of smoke not all the time, just when you pull out with a heavy load or every now in then when turbo is spooled up. Not constant smoking

  4. #4Dutchcat2016-09-13 16:46

    Did you check the endplay on the turboshaft?, Maybe wiggle the valvestems a little to see if there is a lot of play, or worn valveseals Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

  5. #5Brandon_M2016-09-13 16:50

    No I haven't checked anything yet. I was just wanting others opinions on it first, I'm by far not a diesel mechanic. Thanks for your help. Also the joints in the exhaust a real oily too.

  6. #6Dutchcat2016-09-13 16:52

    Could be both, turbo and/or valveguides/seals Goodluck with your machine, really like the 3116 engines Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

  7. #7Brandon_M2016-09-13 17:03

    Ok thanks Dutchcat for your input, atleast I know somethings to look for now. Thanks for your help Brandon_M

  8. #8Dutchcat2016-09-13 17:06

    Let me know when you have found the cause, kinda cureous Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

  9. #9lantraxco2016-09-13 18:06

    Give the dipstick the sniff test, for diesel dilution, just in case.

  10. #10Brandon_M2016-09-13 18:19

    What would that be a sign of going wrong? I haven't noticed it, I check the oil often when I run it. Although I haven't actually sniff tested the dipstick. Lol

  11. #11lantraxco2016-09-13 18:56
  12. #12Brandon_M2016-09-13 19:32

    That looks bad

  13. #13Truck Shop2016-09-13 20:32

    Too damn funny Truck Shop

  14. #14lantraxco2016-09-13 21:28

    LOL, I'm not familiar with the 3116's internals but I have seen CAT engines that developed a fuel leak into the basement and when full enough with diesel would start to suck fuel into the intake through the breather system. Probably can't happen on that engine, but I developed a habit of sniff testing every dipstick I pull... the sound of a runaway four stroke makes a screaming gimmy sound like a weed wacker in terms of fear and panic!

  15. #15Birken Vogt2016-09-13 21:32

    What engines had a breather connected to the intake?

  16. #16Dutchcat2016-09-14 00:27

    Send in an sos sample then you know for sure, Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

  17. #17lantraxco2016-09-14 01:57

    The 3160/3208 for starters... I'm sure there were others.

  18. #18Dutchcat2016-09-14 03:33

    3116 doest breath in the intake Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk