ok, not sure this is the right forum to post this but here goes. we have a newly purchased 1991 kodiak truck and there appears to be a few wires unplugged that I was wondering if anyone might know where they go too. But what were really looking for is the temp sensor. The temp gauge in the truck doesn't move from the low end at all. Ive snapped a few pics and appreciate any help.
Offhand, does the actual coolant temp come up to the normal range? and then see if you can get the gauge to move by shorting the wires at the temp sender. If that gets the gauge to move then the sender isn't sending.
thx Delmer, Would love to try that, but need to know where the sender is?
Your third pic with the radiator hose, is that the lower radiator hose? The temp senders will be on the upper radiator hose fitting. Can't hurt to wire a small fuse into a jumper to short those leads together with the ignition on to see if the temp gauge moves. It's entirely possible that the computer controls the gauge and not directly from the sender. For instance, when you turn the key on, the gauges move to the top, then back to their last running position, or something like that?
Several of your photos show bare wire laying across the frame rail and other metal. I would get them wrapped or protected ASAP. This is an invitation for electrical hell.
My dad taught me when just a kid that any wire laying across any metal on a moving vehicle will rub through no ifs ands or buts. And he was not lying. Either strap it to the piece of metal so there is no relative motion, or guard it with something, or both.
In your third picture of the top rad hose there are 2 temp sensors. I think the grey one is for the air intake heater control and the black one goes to the temp gauge in the dash
The last picture is the oil pressure sending unit area.
Thanks guys for all the responses! I really appreciate it. So for the next man that might read this one day, Delmar I took your advice and shorted out the wire, turned out to be the grey one. When I shorted out my boy said it went high, tried it twice. So bad sending unit. Mobiletech, I didn't even think of the air intake heater, guess that must be the black one? And Former wrench I agree with you before it hits the road I was gonna get some wire loom for all those loose wires and do a bit of zip tying. This is a bucket truck I just bought for my business so its all new to me. I called the cat dealer and they said it was a chevrolet part on the sending unit, so I called the chevy dealership and they said most everything was discontinued for it but he finally thought he found it but said only way that we could know if it was really available was to just try ordering it, said it still might come back discontinued... Is parts that hard to get for this engine/truck?
ok, for future reference the coolant sensor part# 15684629
How did it work out with the dealer looking up parts? I have heard it was like when Ford cut off their MD line, nobody was even supposed to look them up any more. However I was able to get a buddy to do it for me until he moved on from the dealership, that was 15 years ago though. For future reference I crossed that part number into the aftermarket and put that number into ebay and I came up with 3 or 4 sellers who had full application information listed for all kind of GMC medium trucks. So if you went the other direction, go to ebay, type in year make and model and part description it looks like you could have found it that way.
Sorry its took me so long to get back. Our laptop went out, and just got another one. Yeah, they did indeed got me the right part. And looks like your right on. Could have saved half of what I paid for this sensor from the stealership! Thanks for the advice Briken vogt. If only I had got that a few posts earlier now.
Hi All, Just bought a 1991 Topkick Dumptruck. i know its an old thread but I found a temp sensor on amazon. https://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-General-Motors-SENSOR-15684629/dp/B008Y8XTSK hope this helps anyone in the future. mitch