Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 311B Final Drive

RobMonk ยท 2012-11-28 09:07

I recently purchased a Cat 311B knowing full well that it had a broken final drive. The ouside part of the casing had a big hole in it but the price was right based on some prices I had to replace it so I bought the machine. The problem i am having now is that I am getting conflicting information about what final drives will fit on the machine. One place told me that the final off of a 312 would fit another place told me the part# was 102-6433 (final for 315 from my research) and my own searching has come up with part# 114-1528. Does anyone have any experience with this machine? This is my first excavator purchase and I was shocked how insufficent part catologuing is compared to other motor vehicles. I am trying to avoid spending a small fortune on something that simply will not work, any advice would be a help.

Replies5
  1. #1Nige2012-11-28 10:24

    There are 3 prefixes of 311B - 2LS, 8GR, & 9MR. No idea which one your machine is but no matter, all of them use the same Final Drive Group and that is a 114-1528. The Part Number 102-6433 that you were given fits 315 & 317 excavators plus some special arrangements of 312, so it is not correct for your machine. However sometines "will fit's" exist that are not listed in Parts Manuals. I don't think that's the case here because comparing the individual parts of 102-6433 & 114-1528 they are totally different, right down to the case, so I would doubt that a 102-6433 would fit your machine. Your comment about parts cataloguing amazes me, because in my experience there is more Parts & Service info available for Cat machines than for any other brand on the market. Where exactly are you looking..?

  2. #2RobMonk2012-11-28 10:59

    8GR is the answer but in any event thank you for the response. That makes my part search a bit more interesting. Any idea where to look for a replacement for that final drive? I have been looking around and have found some but I am just curious if you know from experience where to look? Perhaps I am not finding the catlogue I should be looking at. I am used to finding parts for my motorcycle or car by using diagrams under various headings, is there a wibsite like that I havent managed to find?

  3. #3heymccall2012-11-28 11:04

    My Cat dealer set me up for online parts cataloging, for no charge (I do spend $125k a year there, though).

  4. #4Nige2012-11-28 11:30

    Sorry, can't help you on where to find a replacement final drive or the parts to rebuild one. Drop into your local Cat dealer and ask them to show you SIS-web, the on-line resource for all Cat's Parts & Service Information .....

  5. #5Lee-online2012-11-28 17:06

    The 8GR 311b uses the 114-1528 final and the 114-1527 is the group with the final and motor. It may be cheaper to rebuild the final and getting the parts should be easier. 311 are not a common machine so used parts will be tough to find unless they are used on other machines.