Hi all, could someone with SIS post the swivel removal/installation instructions for a Cat 311B, s/n 8GR00401? @Nige please and thank you? I wasn’t running the machine today but apparently the swivel reaction arm decide it was time to break off. Which, as you may expect, resulted in a tangle of leaking hoses… I’m probably going to have the swivel re-sealed while it’s out of the machine. Is there anything else I should do or check? I’m not entirely sure why the reaction arm would fracture?
Here you go.
Much appreciated!!
I got all the hoses disconnected and capped tonight, I’ll pull the swivel out to complete the repair on Friday. Any thoughts on if I should take it to be resealed while it’s out? I have no idea if or when it was ever done before. There are no indications of a seal issue now, just wondering if I should be proactive so as to not do this a second time?
My thought would be yes, to investigate if something inside the swivel caused it to partially seize and that’s what caused the reaction arm failure.
Thanks for the feedback, Nige.
So, I’m finally getting back to this project. I had the swivel re-sealed and they found one small score on the spool that was filled and re-machined. I started installing the swivel in the machine today but ran into a small problem. When the swivel is correctly aligned with the reaction rod in the holder on the house side, it is 180 degrees off on the track frame side. I cannot rotate the swivel itself by hand. My thought is to finish the top side and connect all the hoses, etc but not attach the four bolts to the track frame underneath. Then slowly spin the house until it aligns below. Is this the right idea or is there a better method?
Pic from below:
Anyone? I’m going to try to finish this up today. @heymccall any suggestions for aligning the swivel on these old Cat excavators?
They can be tuff to turn when resealed I always index them with marks maybe you can use a bar between the fittings underneath
If the 4 mount bolts are in, of course you can't turn the rotary joint. If they aren't in, why was the top connected? I've always bolted in the bottom and then turned the top.
Thanks! I tried turning the top with the bottom bolted but the limited access made that very difficult. So I figured that securing the top and then rotating the bottom (with the lower bolts out) would be easier. Maybe that’s not the case….
Yeah, I wish the shop had done that. As it is, it’s 180 degrees off from where it should be.
Well, @heymccall I owe you a drink. I bolted the bottom half to the track frame once it was properly aligned. A big strap wrench and an 18” breaker bar and I was able to rotate the top half to the correct alignment. All the hoses are connected and I tested it out with no leaks. Fingers crossed this one is behind me. Thanks to all for the advice and assistance!
Wow! Rock on! Sounds like it is coming together well. Good on ya, @heymccall .