I have a 2000 Cat 311b excavator. When I turn the key on, the dash lights come on and the normal beep sounds. When I turn it one more notch to crank it, nothing happens. It is as if I have not disengaged the safety lever/arm that when in operating position will not permit cranking. This safety switch does seem to be making contact correctly (but I have not omh'ed it out) I've checked all fuses, including the big ones near batter box (60 amp). There appear to be no problems with them Anyone ran into this problem or have any tips? Thanks in advance, Respectfully Stacy Whetzell
It doesn't sound like the main disconnect (safety) switch because if it was your dash panel would not light up when you key on. it could be something like the starter relay or even the starter itself. Would an electrical schematic help you to diagnose the problem..? If so then PM me your machine Serial Number and your email address.
Put a voltmeter on the starter post that the switch energizes. Then turn the switch to the start position and see if there is current getting that far. If there is none you will have to go from there and find where in that circuit the current flow stops. If you do have current when the switch is in the start position it is most likely a starter problem of a faulty ground.
Does that thing have a seat switch?
Yes an electrical schematic would help. tag says 8hro1237. cat dealer thinks that is wrong and it should be 8gr. redardless, is a gray market machine, bit should be same wiring as American made. thanks Nige
I have found that it cranks fine by shorting across the two wires down at starter. Does that shed any light?
That sounds like either the starter relay, the wiring between the key switch and the relay, or the wiring between the relay and the starter solenoid. There is a 311B with Serial Number prefix 8HR, I've found the Electrical Schematic for it - conincidentally it's the same schematic as the one for the 8GR-prefix machine. Send me your email address by PM.
[email protected]
I've finally found the problem. I'm amazed at what a simple little problem it is, but how difficult it will be to repair. The problem is called, "C H I P M U N K S". They've got into the wiring under the bottom of the electrical box!! I could not see the wires chewed until I took the cover off. Now I need two things desperately. 1. The wiring manual that you offered Nige 2. A relatively small nuclear warhead that I can kill these little bast&^%s with!! Nige, I don't know what you mean by send you my email by PM. My email is [email protected] and I will dance at your next wedding if you will send me the wiring schematic for a cat 311b of the 200 year model era. Thanks so much all Stacy
I'm having the same issue with mine, I checked for chewed wires but see no evidence of critters. Wondering if there's any way I could still get this schematic?
Cory, did u get ur cranking problem resolved? You can try cranking it directly at the starter by using screw driver to close circuit between main power supply and one of the screws on bendixen (or is it solenoid). Mine cranked there. I found the wires chewed right snug up against bottom of master power panel.
This may work and to be honest I have done it myself but I would recommend getting a remote starter button and make sure you know how to connect it properly. Just poking a screw driver in among starter wires and terminals can cause serious problems. Also be aware that starting a machine this way can be very dangerous if not familiar with machine. It could allow it to start in gear or with a hydraulic contorl in an unsafe position! If you have to ask how to use that remote starter button shown above I'm not sure I would want to tell you without being there to besure you are understanding the instructions!
You might try putting bars of rat/mouse "food" around your batteries/power panel and in the cab. In the fall you will need to check the 'bars' often as the little critters will be seeking food and a warm place to call home. I don't know if it will work for 'chipmunks' but it eliminates the rodents in my shedded 312.
8hr is the Japan pre fix you got your self a illegal import there 8gr should get you where you need to go
8HR and 8GR are both Japan sourced machines. Bob
Yeah that was probably not good advice. I grew up on a working farm and know what I'm doing when cranking with screwdriver across starter wires. However, not everyone has been as fortunate to have lived the life I have. So yessir, others giving you the best advice. Unless u absolutely know what doing, dont go poking around starter with screwdriver. Even if you do know, for your wife sake, make sure ur life insurance is paid up before u do it.