link
He must have been cruising huh. WOW
looks a lot like I95 in MA
Guy could probably pick that up pretty cheap. They musta had it chained down pretty good.
I wonder what the bridge looks like!
Thats one way to make a mini out of a midsize:Banghead :Banghead I wonder what the driver was thinking:sleeping
wo eh!!! that is unreal, pretty lucky it didn't land in the other lane. thansk
what way do you think the stick was facing? Looks forward to me.
Holy crap I'am really surprised the chains didn't break. I never seen something like that happen before that would take some force to snap the house off the under carriage.
I notice that the traffic is zooming by like nothing happened so apparently DOT has inspected whatever he hit and considered it to be safe.It sure seems logical that the overpass in view there is what he hit,I don't see him traveling too far after the damage was done.Ron G
I wonder if they get two times the going rate for "that scrap" because it is cat iron:bouncegri :bouncegri minimax
Lucky think it was a Cat and its poor quality allowed it to snap in half saving the over pass :roll I'am surprised the driver doesn't have a modified face from hitting the winsheild in the truck.
It looks like the stick was forward, and it also looks like it might have been resting on the upper part of the trailer. The undercarriage is close to the front, and in the one picture, you can see one of the chains still attached to the left track, meaning it hasn't moved very far.
It also looks like it could have been facing to the back. The way the boom is folded and the stick cylinder is knocked out of place make it look like that. Also the stick has no damage on the front. The boom would have to have been all the way up which is dumb, but we aren't dealing with a good situation now are we? Either way, the boom was way too high. Kind of silly, since a 311 isn't that huge and should have tons of clearance with the boom down even a little bit.
Nah. look at the damage to the engine cover, to the rear of the boom. The boom was folded all the way back so far that it bent that cover. Also, you can see that boom cylinders bent backwards as well. The second pic shows damage at the tip of the dipper too, where the dipper cylinder is no longer attached. I bet that was the initial point of impact. The thing I'm having trouble figuring out is the damage to the dozer blade. Could the dipper have been tucked all the way in, so the the bucket was above the blade? The top of the dipper hits the bridge, which tries to flip the dipper forward, tearing the top of the blade, again forward. Meanwhile, the boom is absorbing the force, and getting bent backward, and crunched in upon itself at the same time. All this is too much for the turntable, which comes apart... Anybody got a better guess? :beatsme
Yeah, I'll take a stab at it. The truck driver was going so fast that the turn table could not withstand the wind resistance against the cab which inturn caused the whole upper portion to fly into the air at the exact same moment the driver was passing under a bridge. :yup Now this is just a guess as I don't know the whole story....
Thank you, Countryboy, for making my guess sound all the more reasonable... :notworthy
Im thinking the same thing as digger. The guy tucked the stick in and set it on the blade, just a little bit too high.
Thats what I was thinking too. Thats a small machine, so it had to have been loaded wrong. Like you said there should have been a lot of clearance.
With that being a single drop trailer the boom could have been stretched out to make it lower if there was clearance issues. I looked at the pictures its amazing how the boom buckled on the excavator I never seen that ever happen. I still can't figure out how the chains held without snapping or how it didn't stop the truck dead in its tracks. The guy must have been flying down the freeway.
Mate...we are always doing our best to make you look good round here
Well, then I'm a pretty sad commentary on your performance! :Banghead :bouncegri
Nah a 311 is small, no need for that. That trailer made it a long long ways away from that bridge (considering the trailer was broke). As far as he was made it maybe he was flying (literally hence why he hit the bridge).
:nono I wouldn't consider that our fault though considering what we had to work with.
In light of Squizzy's second hand wisdom, yeah I think it is your fault. Maybe you're just not gripping it right? :dizzy
I think your right,Read the boom on the wrecker i believe it says Sturbridge and that does look like mass-hiway trucks in the photo.
Digger I’m agreeing on what you said. If you look in picture # 5 you will see fresh yellow paint on top of the blade. So the stick was sitting on the blade.
heres a even better one http://www.snopes.com/photos/accident/hoecrash.asp this was in kansas on i-70