Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 311FLRR – SCM Controls??

Tyler Cohrs ยท 2022-08-02 23:12

Recently purchased a 2014 Cat 311FLRR. Machine is currently setup with controls that Im not familiar with at all and find almost impossible to operate this way. The card stored on the side glass says (SCM) controls? Anyone familiar with this? The right side joystick is what im used to, but the left side the controls are flipped. We are wondering what is required to switch this machine over to the "standard" ISO pattern? Any info or advice on this is much appreciated! Thanks

Replies25
  1. #1Cmark2022-08-02 23:22

    You need to set it to the SAE option.

  2. #2Tyler Cohrs2022-08-02 23:30

    Nice! Didn't know it would be that simple! Thanks

  3. #3Tyler Cohrs2022-08-02 23:31

    Also is ISO and SAE the same?

  4. #4Tyler Cohrs2022-08-03 10:14

    Opened the access cover in the floor this morning. Apparently my machine does not have the four way pattern valve in it. Is there a way to flip certain hoses around to change the pattern then?

  5. #5John C.2022-08-03 10:24

    Do you have an Operation and Maintenance Manual? As I recall some of those machines could reset the control patterns from the monitor panel. The OMM would likely tell you if and how it could be done.

  6. #6heymccall2022-08-03 10:53

    Well, if it has the removable card, it has a pattern changer. My 314D and 314E, along with my 325F all have it electronic. Instructions to change, via the monitor, are in the Operations & Maintenance manual cabled into the seat back. I'm not near one today to get instructions.

  7. #7heymccall2022-08-03 10:57

    See if this helps... https://www.cat.com/en_US/articles/for-owners/excavator-joystick-controls.html

  8. #8Tyler Cohrs2022-08-03 11:38

    This is what I found located under the access cover in the floor. Ive been around another very similar 311FLRR that did have the four way valve located right in this area. Thanks

  9. #9heymccall2022-08-03 12:13
  10. #10Cmark2022-08-03 16:46

    Interesting. According to sis, that card on the window wasn't part of the factory build and, as HMC pointed out the card is only put there as part of a four-way valve installation. What's on the other side of the card and are there any more in the holder? Looks like you might have to swap some pilot hoses round. They should go to a bank of bulkhead fittings. Have a look to see if the coloured bands match up.

  11. #11Tyler d4c2022-08-03 17:40

    Is there any chance this machine is grey market that's the only time I've seen that pattern in the states

  12. #12CM19952022-08-03 19:16

    No they are not the same.

  13. #13Tyler d4c2022-08-03 21:59

    Dipper on the right and boom on the left is the right way..... Unless you want me to look like a real idiot Well what ever the old backhoe way is is the right way

  14. #14Tyler Cohrs2022-08-03 22:15

    Where do you think I would actually be swapping the pilot hoses around? Is it on or near the main hydraulic valve bank?

  15. #15Tyler Cohrs2022-08-03 22:16

    Also FYI I do believe this machine was originally in Japan at some point...

  16. #16Tyler d4c2022-08-03 22:34

    I can't speak for this model exactly but under the cab there should be well 8 bulk head fittings where the cab pilot lines meet the machines that is normally the easier place to swap the lines about

  17. #17Tyler Cohrs2022-08-03 22:36

    Those pics I posted earlier were from under the cab. Where the four way valve should be located. Thats about all that I seen under the cab/floor pan area.

  18. #18Tyler d4c2022-08-03 22:41

    Is there a plate under the back of the cab or slightly back farther those appear to be under where your feet are the ones you need are generally under the back of the seat

  19. #19Tyler Cohrs2022-08-03 22:42

    Yes those pics were from directly below the floor mat. Ill look closer tomorrow and see whats further back.

  20. #20Tyler d4c2022-08-03 22:44

    Please report back your findings

  21. #21Tyler Cohrs2022-08-03 22:46

    Will do. Im guessing one way or another theres got to be a way to convert this thing back to "normal" controls!

  22. #22Cmark2022-08-03 23:12

    This is what you're looking for.

  23. #23heymccall2022-08-04 00:08

    If it had pattern changer

  24. #24Tyler Cohrs2022-08-04 15:57

    Thanks for everyones help! I followed the advice given and found the pilot controls bulkhead bank. I could see right away there was four color coded hoses that weren't matching up. Once I flipped those around so all the colors matched, my control pattern is correct now! Easy fix!

  25. #25Cmark2022-08-04 17:00

    Does the flip side of the card have the SAE pattern on it?