Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 312 Electrical Problems

toolsinthesun ยท 2016-07-02 14:31

I'm new here and looking for help. I'm working on a Cat 312 with 3064 engine. Numbers found are, 7DK07656 and 6LK02005, also Arrangement no. 412936. Does anyone have electrical schematics for this machine? A few of the problems are, fuel shutoff solenoid was replaced (by someone else) and still not functioning, screen in cab works fine at low power level but blinks on and off before going completely blank at higher power levels. There are mechanical issues too but I'm starting with electrical. Thanks, tools in the sun, Ouch!

Replies9
  1. #1kshansen2016-07-02 17:09

    Any more numbers? The only one that goes anywhere in SIS is the 6LK one and that comes up with a long list of possible applications. And appears to possibly be the engine number. The 7DK07656 number comes back "not found". Possibly a non-US spec. machine?

  2. #2Nige2016-07-02 18:07

    This is a Japanese grey import. The 7DK Serial Number prefix is good for the machine, year about 1996. Unfortunately there is no information in the on-line Cat resources for Japanese machines. We're working on trying to come up with a non-Japanese machine prefix that will be an equivalent to the 7DK. Edit: It sounds as though a 6GK fits the bill if there is any online info available for it.

  3. #3kshansen2016-07-03 06:00

    Find two different 6LK schematics one up to 00382(SENR6129) and one 00393 and up(SENR6236). I'll try to post a link to each one. SENR6129 View attachment SENR6129.pdf SENR6236 View attachment SENR6236.pdf

  4. #4toolsinthesun2016-07-03 13:26

    Thank you all for your quick response. The numbers listed in my first post were given to me by the owner. I found one more on the label. It is 417361 I will try to attach the ID Plate to this post. Oops, I guess that did work.

  5. #5Nige2016-07-03 13:38

    OK, so looking at the photo there was an error on the S/N, 7DK01656 rather than 7DK07656. That makes the machine mid-1993. 6GK will still work for technical information and parts, possibly under 6K00200 based on year-of-build data.

  6. #6toolsinthesun2016-07-03 14:08

    Thanks Nige, a picture is worth a thousand words. Am I correct in thinking that this is a Japanese built grey import as has been suggested above? Do you have any idea where I might find a service manual for either the engine or machine without paying Cat a ransom?

  7. #7Nige2016-07-03 16:55

    It is most definitely a machine built for the Japan-only market that was never intended to be exported outside that market. That's why it "doesn't exist" in Cat's online service resources........ Regarding a Service Manual I would normally suggest that you go here ........ https://servicemanualpro.com/ ....... plug in your Serial Number and away you go. However with your machine that approach will not work because it was never intended to be exported outside Japan therefore strictly speaking there are no English language manuals for it based on the 7DK-prefix Serial Number on the data plate. The best I can suggest is to contact your local Cat dealer, give them your Serial Number and ask them to give you a representative Serial Number of a machine that is serviced in the US that can be used to get parts and service information for machine 7DK01656. As posted above I think it will be a 6GK-prefix 312 excavator somewhere around 6GK00200 if the 1993 build date is anything to go by. However I could be wrong in that, only Cat can really tell you for certain. Once you have a Serial Number you can try eBay, but IMO all the bargains disappeared years ago when sellers realised how much genuine manuals cost. Also the downside is you're looking for a manual published in English that never existed because the machine was never destined for anything other than use in Japan. A quick look at eBay shows nothing, there is one on Amazon but it's $1,100 (ouch..!) and I don't even think it's a genuine Cat manual. TBH the best value is the link I posted above, a dealer charges $100 and upwards per hour labour so a manual is worth about 4-5 hours of dealer labour. I think that's a pretty good deal.

  8. #8lantraxco2016-07-03 23:28

    For the Japan domestic market machines, sometimes manuals are available as paper only books from CAT, usually in Japanese only but sometimes in a more translatable language like French. We accidentally ordered a manual printed in French one time, when the guy picked it up he was tickled as he read and spoke fluent French but not one character of Japanese. YMMV

  9. #9Cat_man3202016-07-06 20:16

    As for your fuel shut off problem . I assume it has an electro solenoid shut off. If you're going into the harness to find the problem Good luck . Here's what I would do, and I know it's not the correct way but it sure beats messing with the harness and chopping everything up just to find one break or an open . I would run a wire directly from the "run side of the ignition right to the fuel solonoid . That will save you days trying to find the issue . I know it's not the factory way but you get to go to work . Some ignitions do not have power on the run side of the ignition when the key is in the start position , if that's the situation , you can hot wire in a toggle switch which will do the same thing. save yourself time and money messing with the harness .