Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 312 machine shortning track links

Moremph · 2013-07-27 20:35

I have a friend who purchased a 312 Cat excavator, When he got it home the seal was blown out of one of the track adjusters, we rebuilt it for him and installed it and realized the tracks are stretched to the point that the adjuster is basically at full extension. He needs a quick fix for now, It has good pads and rollers just the chains seem to be extra long, I have seen talk of shortening the chain on other units would that be possible on this machine? I was told by cat this was a grey market machine? Thanks travis

Replies3
  1. #1Steve 6502013-07-27 21:42

    yup, cut the link where the master pin is fixed, grind the bushing to make the master link to fit with the other link and add shim to remove side play.

  2. #2Nige2013-07-28 07:08

    Whether it's grey market or not IMO the undercarriage should be the same as a non-grey market machine. There are various Cat publications that relate Serial Number prefixes of grey-market machines to US or European-built machines. If you post the Serial Number prefix I can hopefully tell you what prefix you can use when looking for parts. At the same time as posting the prefix post a couple of photos showing the track links and pins so we can get an idea of how much wear there is in the pins & bushes. If this excavator has had replacement undercarriage on it before then maybe someone screwed up and went 1 link too long on the chains..?

  3. #3CRAFT2013-08-14 22:26

    Hmmm ! …… I too wanted to see where this would go ….. Mine is not grey-market but I have the same issue with the tensioners at the max …….. My deal is this, I want to save the removed links incase of a premature breakage of the existing links …… So as a result have a spare with similar wear as the existing rail links