Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 312 Rega?

rpls4957 · 2023-12-31 12:02

Hello, I'm new to this and hope I can provide enough information for my question: I have a Cat 312 excavator, presumably a 312 Rega. I had a small battery fire and it burned the wires going into the ECM. I am not sure how hot the ecm got before the fire was extinguished. I am not able to read any numbers on the ecm and have the following information from the tag in the cab and on the engine: Cab tag; 312 7DK05428 4I2936 3064 6LK08493 4I7361 Engine tag (DLR Code); AR No 41-7361 I have purchased a Cat 312 Manual, however, it does not show a wiring harness part number nor anything dealing with the ECM. I have not been able to find information from the CAT website and have looked for Japanese Cat dealers in an attempt to see if I can obtain parts from them...so far no luck. I would like to understand more about the ecm and what would be required if it needs replacing and how to verify if it needs to be replaced. Also, would like to find a new wiring harness. Any information, help, and or insight would be appreciated. thanks

Replies6
  1. #1Nige2023-12-31 13:58

    We've been here before on these grey market ISJ Rega excavators. It sounds like the first thing you are going to need is a Parts Manual. They can actually be downloaded from HERE in pdf format for $124 and you will have it within 5 mnutes. Put XJBP7246 in the box and click the Search button. It covers 7DK machines with Serial Numbers from 3001-Up which includes yours. Yes I know the manual is allegedly in Japanese but the illustrations, References, & Part Numbers will alll make sense. Also there are apparently apps available that will translate Japanese to English from a photo. XJBP7246 will have all the necessary Part Numbers for everything including wiring harnesses.

  2. #2Nige2023-12-31 14:11

    OK, now to the subject of an electrical schematic. The "World Market" crossover to a 7DK machine is a 6GK-prefix. For your Serial Number 7DK05428 you need to make reference to a 6GK-prefix machine with a S/N above 6GK00393. I have a schematic that I will send to you, keep an eye on your messages.

  3. #3Nige2024-01-01 13:23

    It's not often I get stumped finding information but I can't see anything anywhere regarding how to troubleshoot the pump controller on the 311-A/312-A models. It appears as though they are the only models that use this particular Part Number (4I-5383/106-0167) of controller. There is plenty of information on later models (e.g. RENR1998 applies to 311B/312B machines) but does it also apply to the earlier ones.?

  4. #4Chrisso2024-01-02 09:27

    Apparently it's in SENR6135... I cannot find her either. Lost in translation? The display monitor in the cab in laymans terms is an extension of the electronic controller (the bit you call the ECM). It turns the controller on and displays its outputs. If you can get everything powered up again you can enter the service mode, check all the outputs and check for error codes... all of which is explained in Electronic System Testing And Adjusting (SENR6137). As per Nige's comments, 106-0167 is the electronic control p/n if you need a new one. (Edit: if you go down that path there's a good chance you'll need to perform a calibration on the engine speed controller, that could be a can of worms) That's all I've got.

  5. #5Nige2024-01-02 11:26

    Whether the control in the OP’s machine is the earlier P/N 4I-5383 or 106-6167 I think makes no difference, there will be no specs or testing parameters available for it seeing as it’s over 30 years old. That generation of controllers was very basic indeed, having no external diagnostic capability and very limited testing functionality internally. Anyone attempting to repair it would have to figure out how it operates from 1st principles and that would not be cheap.

  6. #6rpls49572024-01-06 14:09

    ...also, I did purchase\download the manual. thanks