Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 312 won’t spin

Shovelworks ยท 2017-05-29 13:02

Hello, My 2000 model year 312 BL won't spin. I think it is either the solonoid on the turn motor or the sensor that tells the solonoid to release the brake. I did realize that it was heat related. It started doing this last week. I would be running it for a while and it would stop turning. I let it sit for a half hour or so and it is normal again. I run it for a while and again it stops turning. Today it stopped and after letting it sit a couple hours it still won't turn. Whatever was on it's way out... is now done. Any thoughts. Jeff

Replies6
  1. #1DEMLONE702017-05-29 15:53

    Do u mean it dont swing ? Does it have fine swing ? Serial number ?

  2. #2Shovelworks2017-05-29 18:31

    Serial # is 8JR01751 and yes the swing brake is activated.. it will not swing. I don't know what fine swing is so I can only assume it does not have it.

  3. #3cat 3852017-05-30 07:11

    when you move the joy STICK TO SWING, ECM SEND CURRENT TO SOLINOID WHICH IS MOUNTED ON THE SWING MOTOR TO RELEASE THE PARKING BARKE. IF SWING BRAKE IS NOT RELEASING FOLLWING COULD BE POSSIBLE 1.PILOT PRESURE TO THE SWING BRAKE SOLINOID IS NOT AVAILABLE DUE TO BLOCKED NFC ORIFICE 2 SOLINOID COULD BE THE FAILED 3.WIRENS FROM MACHINE ECM TO SWING SOILNOID IS DEFECTIVE (WHICH CAN BE CONFIRMED FEOM ACTIVE FAULT CODE LIST). OR SWING DRIVE COULD HAVE MECHANICAL FAILURE

  4. #4DEMLONE702017-05-30 14:35

    Dont forget the swing brake switch Any fault code ?

  5. #5Shovelworks2017-05-30 19:20

    I'm pretty sure it is a faulty solonoid. Power is good to the solonoid. I'll swap it out tomorrow.

  6. #6Shovelworks2017-05-31 20:25

    Replaced solonoid.... back to normal.. life is good!