Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 3126 coolant hose how to disconect

djhutt · 2022-11-29 18:27

I have a 1999 Sterling with a 3126 ser 7AS44238 there is a hose that goes from the engine next to the thermostat housing to the surge tank. I want to replace the hose, it has plastic fittings on the ends that I don't want to break when removing. is there a trick or special tool used to remove this hose?

Replies7
  1. #1heymccall2022-11-29 19:34

    A picture of said fitting(s) would go a long ways toward yielding an answer.

  2. #2Coaldust2022-11-30 17:42

    I don’t recall anything weird about the hoses on those, but someone may have used shrink fit clamps at one time. They were a fad during that time period. Yes, a picture would help.

  3. #3Truck Shop2022-11-30 18:04

    Remember-he's working on a Sterling, it could have odd ball fittings because of that. But like said above--need photos.

  4. #4djhutt2022-11-30 18:08

    Shrink fit hose I cut it out and put a 3/8mip to 3/8 barb in the block and cut the other end off the surge tank got a piece of 3/8 hose and 2 spring clamps and done.

  5. #5Delmer2022-11-30 19:41

    Generally, to remove a stuck hose without crushing the fitting, use a regular pliers to pinch the hose to pull bits off until you get through the threads, it should loosen then. Or, cut through the hose with a knife tangential, NOT RADIAL, a little at a time until you hit the threads and cut through them, then it will loosen and come off easily.

  6. #6JLarson2022-11-30 20:07

    A lot of the Sterling/Ford jobs with cat motors used those stupid shrink clamps. Sucks when you run low on hose clamps and have to replace a lower hose on a mixer on the side of the road lol

  7. #7Coaldust2022-11-30 20:37

    I still have the silly Gates tool for cutting those shrink fit clamps somewhere, that a Rep gave me.