Has any one ever replaced the rear main seal on a Cat 3126 with out the tool. I need to replace the rear main seal and new replacement seal comes with a wear ring. It takes a special tool to install it. Tool is over $400. Cat does not rent out a tool and I cant find any truck garage that has one. My crankshaft does not have a grove wore in it, could I just take the wear ring out and install the seal or is it made different than original? After market does not list a seal.
You can replace the wear ring and seal as a unit if you can find a ring or a bearing race about the right size.its not real easy but it can be done. Tap the ring in a bit and then tap the seal in a bit. You have togo in small steps.
The seal and wear ring are made to go together and mustn't be separated. The seal is made to run on the wear ring diameter. The diameter of the crank is smaller and the seal won't seal on it. In desperate times I've installed them with a hammer and various punches but it's hard to avoid dinging them up a little and, especially with the rear one, you have the doubt in your mind that it may leak where you can't see it. Not such a big problem with the front one. My advice would be to book your local Cat field service to come out and do the job. If you're very clear with them what you require, make sure they know to bring the correct tooling for your serial number and have everything clean for them and ready to go, it should be maximum 30 min of labour time. Obviously depending on where you are in the world travel time may be a killer and may force you into a different plan.
So do all Cats have a wear ring when new or is this just on the replacement. I really don't remember a wear ring on mine. I am getting ready to tear it down when I get time and want to have all my ducks in a row.
Not the correct way but in a pinch you can install the seal first without the wear ring , then start the wear ring onto crankshaft and use the flywheel to push it flush. You can also make a make shift tool with flat steel that is the same diameter as the seal and a couple of holes to pull it up. tis will bring seal and wear ring in to gether