Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 3126 Reprogram ECM?

John White ยท 2021-05-17 21:57

Have KW 2003 with 3126 CKM65522. Been having trouble with it running right. Would smoke after idling for 30 min. on job, drive a mile or two and would clear up. Always run fine when started in AM. First it throwed a 74 code ( 5 &6 injector bad) Changed fuel filters and thought problem was solved, ran 2 weeks fine them started again. This time it would not clear up after a mile or two, ran in limp mode to get it home. Would smoke when starting it when cold. Showed 72-73-74 codes. all injectors bad. Engine has only about 85K miles so I could not understand how all injectors would bad. No Cat dealer in my area and didn't want to drive in limp mode at 35 mph and get rear ended. Local repair shop said injectors were around $450 each. I just couldn't believe all were bad. My thinking was possibly ECM bad. Called Cat and they said if I took the ECM off and bought it in they could test it. (still not cheap) I had the ECM I had taken off the engine I have in it right now. I think it was a 2001 GMC ckM48458. I had installed the original that came on the KW when I did the engine swap. It has 330,000 miles on ECM. So I dug the ECM out of the shed and put it on. (the GMC was a automatic, KW is a 6 speed) Engine started up and runs fine with the GMC ECM on it. But my Tac and speedo does not read right and I noticed that my fan clutch ran all the time even engine is not hot and will not read up on temp scale like the old one because fan is running all the time. If I take the ECM off the GMC to Cat can they reprogram it? I about had a-fib when I seen the cost of a new one. Original computer on Kw, says Nunonm 206-2700-02 with a # 212260451K The GMC ECM which I have on it now says Ulenem 192-7896-01 #07126-1611C

Replies2
  1. #1Tyler d4c2021-05-17 22:34

    I'm not to well versed in truck ecm configuration but I think someone with et could just reconfigure the gmc box to your truck.

  2. #2Nige2021-05-18 12:49

    Although one of your ECM's is Part Number 206-2700 and the other is 192-7896 they both eventually service to the same 322-3602 Part Number. So in essence they are the same. I will caveat that and say that there MAY be some minor differences in functionality between the older 192-7896 and the newer 206-2700. I don't know and have no real way of finding out. The issue with switching ECMs between engines (even of the same engine model and S/N prefix) is that the operating software flash file will generally be different for different truck OEMs. Here lies your problem. Each software P/N has a unique Interlock Code. The Cat system will NOT supply passwords for re-flashing an ECM if the Interlock Code is different to the one that is already in it UNLESS it is being done under a Service Support Program which would obviously not apply to your situation. Engine CKM65522 - Arrgt 204-2238 210BHP @ 2200RPM Paccar. Flash file 212-3967, Interlock Code 223 Engine CKM48458 - Arrgt 201-6317 220BHP @ 2200RPM GMC Truck & Bus. Flash File 212-3967, Interlock Code 223 So guess what, the two ECM's contain the same P/N of flash file. Actually one or both of them may contain something older than 212-3967 but in essence it will be the same software with the same Interlock Code. So your idea might just be do-able. You'd need both ECM's and ask whoever does the work to set the Configuration parameters in the ECM from CKM65522 exactly the same as the ones that are currently in the ECM from CKM48458. That should hopefully overcome the fan clutch issues, etc. At the same time all the logged Diagnostic Codes and Events should be cleared from the ECM that you are going to install. To clear some of the Events may require factory passwords. Question: Did you change the turbo when you did the engine swap.? Because I see they are different P/N's between the two engine arrangements. In case you were not aware the use of top-quality engine oil and filters changed on a regular basis is the key to keeping a HEUI engine fuel system in one piece, basically the HEUI pump and the injectors.