Looked at a used 1998 machine with 4800 hours. Machine is in good condition. What are major problem areas with that machine, i.e. weaknesses or components that have too short of a life. Also, this one had something that I had not seen before.....a power front window. Thoughts on that?
Brae, I have a 312 BL (actually belongs to my business partner, but he can't operate it) and it seems to be a great machine. However, this machine sits at a hunting camp and only sees a few hours per month. The biggest problem I've had with the machine is with it sitting idle. I have had rodents chew up the wiring harness and a few normal wear and tear items. My machine does not have an electric window opener, and I have never even opened the window. This machine is uses mainly for clearing beaver dams, cleaning ditches, pulling fallen trees out of a river, etc. It seems to have plenty of power and no trouble staying to top of muddy ground. Keep in mind, though, that I have no other excavator experience to compare it to!! Good luck
My experence is all positive with Cat excavators from a E120 the 312 pretessor to a 315b and a 320L they are well ballanced and reliable and easy to get parts for and Cat is not any worse than Deere on prices. I prefer the Mitsubisi engine over the cat as it burns less fuel and I have had good luck with them you just have to call cat with your ser. # and they will tell you what engine you have but the cat is fine. Over all good machines that hold their value good if taken care of. Never had a power window just have a spring assist on the 315b I would think of it as one more thing to go wrong but it probably could be unhooked if broken.
I have a 2001 312bl with over 8k hours. Only repair to a major component was new pistons in the slew motor. Very happy with the machine overall. Nice cab to spend a day and burns around 12l hour. Have heard stories here about drive motor problems but nobody ever explained the situation? The frames and front ends are really well built. Check the oil cooler for leaks. Turbos can give a bit of bother if not left cool off properly and listen out for a noisey water pump.
This machine apparently has a two speed issue. It makes up its own mind when it will engage high speed. When I started it up, rabbit mode was on. It traveled in rabbit mode and then I switched it back out. The mechanic was up front and pointed this out to me. Is this a common issue? Thoughts?